Hardware Virtualization in BIOS?

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by josh5183, Jul 18, 2009.

1. josh5183

josh5183

Hey Everyone,

I know that the Intel Atom Z520 processor (http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=35466) and US15W chipset support virtualization technology, but I'm not seeing any ability to turn this on or off in the 751h BIOS.

Has anyone had experience with this? I know virtualization support is not on automatically because whenever I try and use VT-X support in VMware, it defaults back to software support.

Yes, I know ... I should not be doing this on a netbook, haha!

-Josh

josh5183, Jul 18, 2009
  2. josh5183

TrackSmart

The BIOS on these machines is purposely minimal. Acer clearly doesn't want users to do anything to their default configuration. Very irritating. :x

TrackSmart, Jul 22, 2009
  3. josh5183

zicada

If youre thinking about running linux on it through a VM, i believe vmware etc might be a tad too heavy.

What you might wanna do though is install colinux. I did so yesterday and got it configured nicely. It uses nearly no resources and does everything i need from linux anyway (development environment).
    I have it running as a service now, so all i do is connect to the service with putty. Very fast, runs in ring0, so has direct memoryaccess etc etc. Also had it map my d: to a block device and mounted it on /home/zicada yes that's right, direct access to the host fs without using samba etc.

Bit off topic, but really cool solution for these machines for people using them for development etc.

zicada, Jul 23, 2009
  4. josh5183

erlingre

Before I bought my 751h I did not even consider that Acer could decide to disable Intel VT in the BIOS. I Run Linux on my
    751h and I would like to try KVM, but until I manage to enable VT it is not possible.
    I cannot understand why Acer disables a feature I have payed for and provides no option to enable it!

erlingre, Sep 7, 2009
  5. josh5183

zicada

Dont you find the drivers for the psb are pretty bad though ?
    Can't even scroll webpages without lag...

zicada, Sep 7, 2009
  6. josh5183

Guest Guest

I just flashed the bios with the latest version and virtualization has been enabled in the bios. There are no settings in the bios that I could see but it just works. Full "xp mode" in windows 7. Good news for those that are interested.

Guest, Dec 16, 2009
  7. josh5183

PhilHintson

They probably wont let us enable it because they want you to upgrade to get more money out of us. It is very annoying.
    Completely new recognized very own salehoo review this type of great software applications acknowledged as perfect uninstaller. Our own abdomen happen to be unshakable as a result of truth about six pack abs. Ladies amazing tactic buy backlinks web-based.

PhilHintson, Sep 24, 2010
Ask a Question