Hardisk Security lock out

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by JoKitty, Jul 15, 2011.

1. JoKitty

JoKitty

Just recieved a used Aspire one series laptop so I can take my lecture notes in class and it will not log on!!!! all it will do is come up to a Harddisk Security Screen that reads "Primary Master WDC WD1600BEVT-22ZCTLock" Help Classes start in a few weeks and I can't spend a bundle on some one to come out to my place to fix it, if I can just do it myself. HELP there has to be a Guru some where..... :?

JoKitty, Jul 15, 2011
  2. JoKitty

something back

something back, Jul 15, 2011
  3. JoKitty

Swarvey Moderator

Or you could ask the person you bought the machine from for the password, and use the BIOS to either remove the password, or change it to something else that you can remember.

Swarvey, Jul 15, 2011
  4. JoKitty

something back

The general internet consensus is, that it's more or likely going to be a full format issue.

The only credible passwords listed other than those listed in the other list posted, are
    12345 or admin or administrator or admins. It seems that after five password refusals the
    Western Digital Drive will bring up a new window with the only option being to reformat, sadly deleting all the data on the drive..

This idea is “just that an idea”: The password may well be held in the MBR section of the hard drive

Easeus Partition Manager Home Edition will allow you to copy partitions over to a new drive

There are many ways of creating/repairing a MBR even Microsoft supplies a repair cd for drives that will not start. The idea is to copy over the partitions to another drive and then use a repair tool to create a MBR hoping the drive will recover from this new position.

Have a look on the internet for M.B.R. TOOLS

something back, Jul 17, 2011
  5. JoKitty

DutchDK

This won't help on a BIOS set HDD password. Those are not stored on the magnetic media, and thus won't be erased via a format. They are contained encrypted inside a small flash chip on the HDD controller board. There exists several programs on the net, which alledgedly can remove them, although I've not seen any program who actually were able to do so on the SATA drives. Old IDE/ATAPI drives yes, but not on the newer SATA drives.

So one option is available for the OP, as has been said above : Get the HDD password from the person who he "recieved a used Aspire one series laptop so I can take my lecture notes in class" from. Ofcourse that is based on the assumption, that this person actually owned the netbook in the first place, and can remember the password.

DutchDK

DutchDK, Jul 17, 2011
Ask a Question