Harddrive Modifications

Discussion in 'Modding and Customization' started by eccentricafterglow, Sep 4, 2008.

1. eccentricafterglow

eccentricafterglow

Is it possible to run two different drives - one being an ssd and the other being a 1.8" or 2.5" hard drive?

eccentricafterglow, Sep 4, 2008
  2. eccentricafterglow

melhiore

I don't think so as there is only one ZIF connector in AA1. Maybe you can try with some USB HDD readers but I doubt there is enough room for all...

There is another way I was thinking about. I seen mod where someone soldered miniATA connector to Motherboard ( in the place where HDD connector exist in HDD versions ) and put standard 120GB HDD. In that case ZIF connector stays unused and maybe you can utilize it - still there is a problem with space inside... Especially when standard HDD is bigger then 1.8"...

melhiore, Sep 4, 2008
  3. eccentricafterglow

GauntMan

I´m in the process of modding in a Western Digital external 2,5" USB drive into the case. It began when the original case of the WD cracked but the drive itself made it. The control circuits of the drive were wery slim and small and after measuring it should fit into the case after removing some plastic fitting of the original SSD. I´m going to use the unused USB port on the minPCI as (tankgirl did with the bluetooth mod) to connect the drive without loosing any external usbports. I will report back with pictures of the entire projekt when and if I get it to work.

GauntMan, Sep 4, 2008
  4. eccentricafterglow

eccentricafterglow

Would that not be a problem if you put a zif to CF connector and only had one 1.8" drive with the soldered ATA port? Is there a 1.8" drive that could hook up to that? The CF is a lot smaller than a 2.5" drive. Also I saw on tnkgrl's website when she hooked up two drives to the eee pc (an SSD and a ZIF) The SSD became a slave drive, and not a primary drive - and I'd like to use a smaller CF or SSD drive as an primary OS drive. :| So, I'm wondering if it's the same thing deal with the Aspire too.

eccentricafterglow, Sep 4, 2008
  5. eccentricafterglow

eccentricafterglow

bump.

eccentricafterglow, Sep 5, 2008
  6. eccentricafterglow

PGH_One_User

See this thread for details on a 2.5" HD mod (from SSD)-

viewtopic.php?f=43&t=637

If you perform this mod and kept the SSD *I think* you should be able to use both drives simultaneously. The trouble would be finding room to get it all to fit in the case.

I don't know why you would keep your SSD if you added a HD. Both 1.8" and 2.5" perform very well. I can't see using the SSD after perfroming either of these mods.

PGH_One_User, Sep 5, 2008
Ask a Question