hard drive upgrade

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by bluesfloyd, Dec 21, 2015.

1. bluesfloyd

bluesfloyd

hi guys,
    i want to upgrade my hard drive from hdd to ssd in my acer laptop,
    what i want to do is put a new ssd drive into my laptop, and reinstall windows 7 operating system, do i need to change any thing in the bios???? will the pc understand its a ssd drive??? the acer laptop holds only one hard drive
    thanks for your time, bluesfloyd

bluesfloyd, Dec 21, 2015
    IBMPC8088 likes this.
  2. bluesfloyd

something back

Looking at the laptop specs it,s not worth spending money on

something back, Dec 21, 2015
    IBMPC8088 likes this.
  3. bluesfloyd

vinaya

I don't know much about laptop hardware, however, I don't there will be any problem with upgrading. Upgrade only if your laptop is still in better condition.

vinaya, Feb 4, 2016
  4. bluesfloyd

IcyBC

I have no idea how everything work with computer, and currently my nephew is trying to resurrect my HP laptop, he mentioned something about changing my HD to SSD, and I have to know about this before I can make a decision!

IcyBC, Feb 9, 2016
  5. bluesfloyd

djtech

You don't have to do anything to the bios. It does not reside on the HDD as you know. And it will not care if you're using an ssd or an hdd. To the bios its still storage.

djtech, Feb 11, 2016
    IBMPC8088 likes this.
  6. bluesfloyd

Lun

It should recognize the SSD without issues afaik. What's your laptop's model? Is it too old? That's the only way I see you having a problem with an SSD upgrade.

Lun, Feb 11, 2016
    IBMPC8088 likes this.
  7. bluesfloyd

IBMPC8088

If your laptop supports SATA I or higher on the motherboard (most every laptop since 2008 supports this) and not IDE, then you can use an SSD usually since the SATA adapter handles and treats all file i/o to the drive the same way it does a standard one. If you for some reason have a really old laptop that still has an IDE connector only, there are adapters for SATA to PATA and even a few companies that manufacture IDE SSD drives like this one. They're a little pricey compared to SATA drives and slightly slower, but you can still get 3/4th the performance that you're looking for from an SSD and an older laptop or desktop by using one of these. Like the SATA drives, these are able to work universally even on old systems because all of the hardware to access it is in the drive and nothing changes with the controller itself as long as the connection is right. As far as it's concerned, it accesses and uses it just like it would a magnetic drive from before: http://www.amazon.com/128GB-KingSpec-2-5-inch-SM2236-Controller/dp/B0091T4ZWU

IBMPC8088, Feb 12, 2016
    djtech likes this.
  8. bluesfloyd

djtech

Valid point. If you have a really old one, you can always buy an adapter...

djtech, Feb 13, 2016
    IBMPC8088 likes this.
Ask a Question