Hard drive transfer rate seems slow AOA150-1049 160MB Win XP

Discussion in 'Storage' started by jimeee, Jul 14, 2010.

1. jimeee

jimeee

This Netbook seem much slower recently. No Virus or Malware problems. My hard drive transfer rate using HDTune is only 1.8 MB/s. I think someone in the family may have dropped it.

Does anyone have a similar Acer Netbook that they could run the Free HDTune transfer rate test on.

Thanks.

Jim
    ===

jimeee, Jul 14, 2010
  2. jimeee

Swarvey Moderator

Re: Hard drive transfer rate seems slow AOA150-1049 160MB Wi

Generally speaking, dropping a machine (or hard drive itself for that matter) would cause a lot more damage than just slowing it down. From memory the HDD in those models was the ATA variety. Natively slower than SATA models. Having said that, they can wear out and get slower with age. Try running some cleanup utilities on your OS, you could probably get some speed back by merely defragging, not much, but it's still something that needs to be done every now and then.

Swarvey, Jul 14, 2010
  3. jimeee

jimeee

I answered this once and then something else came up and I didn't save it...haha...

Thanks for your suggestions. I spent the better part of a day searching the Internet and reading and trying different things and I did defrag the drive too.

I think I am at the point where I am looking for someone with a similar Acer Netbook, the 8.9" one, who will download HDTune and tell me what their transfer rate is so I have something to compare mine to. How about it is there anyone out there who has a similar Netbook who would be willing to do the transfer rate test with HDTune and tell me what numbers you come up with.

I will be gone for 4 or 5 days so I probably won't be able to answer unless I do it while I am on the road

Thanks any and all for any help.

jimeee, Jul 15, 2010
  4. jimeee

dcx_badass

I'll do this for you tomorrow (need to find it first!), I've got the same model, 160GB HDD and 1GB ram.

dcx_badass, Jul 23, 2010
  5. jimeee

jimeee

Thanks so much for your kind offer. I will be very interested in seeing what the results are.
    Jim
    ===

jimeee, Jul 23, 2010
Ask a Question