Hard Drive Swap?

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by tezzaq, Mar 9, 2014.

1. tezzaq

tezzaq

Some time ago I replaced an IDE hard drive with Windows 8 installed for an SSD drive onto which I installed Windows 7. I would like to know if I can temporarily swap back to the IDE drive (Windows 8) while I obtain the Windows Product Key (embedded in BIOS apparently) and then replace the SSD drive (Windows 7), or boot from an external docking station and if so how do I do that?

I am totally confused about the BIOS. Does a different OS change the BIOS details? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

tezzaq, Mar 9, 2014
  2. tezzaq

something back

If you are just swapping one drive for another then as long as it contains a operating system it should work
    without problems. Not heard of anything embedded in BIOS. The Windows Product Key SHOULD BE ON A STICKER.

If a system has contained a verified working and registered copy of windows then there are programs freely available
    on the internet to interrogate a working copy of windows and recover the legal Windows Product Key.

something back, Mar 9, 2014
  3. tezzaq

tezzaq

Thanks for your reply and information something back.

tezzaq, Mar 9, 2014
Ask a Question