Hard Drive Size

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by jamesuk, Oct 7, 2008.

1. jamesuk

jamesuk

Hello! I have jus bought a Aspire one (1gb RAM and 120GB HD) and I have been on it for a while now very impressed :D I looked at the hard drive size in 'System Information' and it says total size 105gb and total available 99gb is that normal that a 120gb drive should be 105gb? Thanks :)

jamesuk, Oct 7, 2008
  2. jamesuk

melhiore

Hidden recovery partition??

melhiore, Oct 7, 2008
  3. jamesuk

Midori

I hate how HDD's are marketed as 250gb or 500gb when there 232gb or so so it is such BS.... :x just format it all :p Maximize your size :shock:

Midori, Oct 7, 2008
  4. jamesuk

jamesuk

Thanks :) I'll probs just leave it as it is 99gb will take me ages to fill! Jus wish they would be a bit more honnest about the size of the HDD! I got a 8gb ipod and it ended up having about 7.2gb on it lol

jamesuk, Oct 7, 2008
  5. jamesuk

RGGG

a 120bg HDD is only 105gb when formatted. Same as 4gb is only 3.7 gb's. There's some sort of mathematical explanation as to why it is the way it is, but it escapes me at the current moment 0_o

Ryan

RGGG, Oct 8, 2008
  6. jamesuk

goofball

They aren't lying, it's just a matter of how they use base 10 to calculate their total while computers use base 2 so the numbers are different. Also, using a different filesystem will result in a different usable space as well. They can't possibly account for the type of filesystem that will be used on their hard drives.

goofball, Oct 8, 2008
  7. jamesuk

Midori

Oh i know of it all they should just pop charts simple charts for simple buyers i new mine was not going to be the listed size what they should do is make a chart like for a windows based partition it will range this and so on would be nice

Midori, Oct 8, 2008
  8. jamesuk

goofball

But again, it depends on NTFS or FAT32, and so on. There is a base, I believe, that tells you pretty close to what you would have usable but if you post that, then you get lots of other people complaining if it doesn't add up when they partition...it just creates a bigger mess really.
    The people that notice these things, are smart enough to understand what they are doing with the numbers. The other's, could really care less as it is probably more than enough space for them to even think about.

goofball, Oct 8, 2008
Ask a Question