Happy XP-Experience 2 - happy End?

Discussion in 'Windows' started by Fuerst, Nov 11, 2008.

1. Fuerst

Fuerst

Friends, I have given up on Linux.
    I believe, only Linux-Fans can handle this nettop with linux-distributions. I have gone back to windows, and it works. EVERYTHING works. and it's all plug and play.

i have so far failed to get one single Linux-distribution working. Tried Linpus (when I finally managed to install the G3, WLAN didn't work anymore) then tried latest Mandriva version (neither worked), then tried UBUNT and XUBUNTU. Very nice, but couldn't get it to run WLAN and/or G3

and with all those, except for Linpus, the little Nettop became very slow.

meanwhile I had tried a slimmed down version of XP-Pro, which worked fine but was pretty slow. making writing of messages, news items etc extremely frustrating.

switching of paging helped, but now my Internet collapsed quite frequently.
    -----------------

BUT:
    Now I decided to give XP-Pro a last try. I installed an extremely slim version (1,6 GB installed) that uses about 190 MB RAM. I also installed a minimum of drivers manually (provided by Acer) (essential, VGA-driver, WLAN, LAN, Audio).

I downloaded a tweak-programme /Tweak-xp) to clean-up the memory and slim down even further. Now I have some 330 MB of RAM available

I did not turn off paging and have sted installed RAM-disk of 40 MB (with Tweak-XP) für the Firefox-Cache.
    I switched of prefetch, however.

Now the machine not only starts in about 45-60 seconds (I am running skype, firefox with half a dozen applications/tabs open), Abiword (freeware, 12 MB installed) as wordprocessor, Thunderbird and another news-ticker programme i need for work - and so far no problem.

needless to say that WLAN and G3 (automatic installation) are running fine.

So my suggestion for Linux-beginners is: unless you don't need to work with that little thing and love to waste time, go back, get a second-hand version of XP or XP-pro, slim down to a minimum with NLite or others and install as suggested. also download a very good freeware defrag-programme. this is rather important for speed.

I now have x-many programmes installed (replace Acrobat reader with a slimline freeware-programme, get excel/pp-viewer from MS for free) and be happy

cheers
    Christian

Fuerst, Nov 11, 2008
Ask a Question