[Guide] Protect Your Aspire One's Casing From Scratches

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by ...BeAkEr..., Aug 26, 2008.

1. ...BeAkEr...

...BeAkEr...

Just bought a flash netbook or laptop and want to keep it in that 'showroom' condition? Well you came to the right place...

In this tutorial I will show you how I protect my Aspire One without ruining the sleek styling of it.

Things You Will Need
    [​IMG]

a/ Netbook or Laptop [In theory this would also be good for PS3, iPod etc. Basically anything with smooth surfaces that scratch easily]

b/ Scissors

c/ Stanley knife or scalpel

d/ Clear stick on book covering [I picked a metre of it up from Kmart for less than $2] You could also get different patterned covering with holograms etc on them. I like the look of my netbook so I chose clear for mine

e/ A cloth

1st Step

Cut out a piece of the book covering and make sure it is roughly 10mm too big in all directions like in the picture below.

[​IMG]

2nd Step

Peel back a small corner of the covering and stick it onto the netbook as shown in the picture. [Remember to let the covering hang over the edges a bit] Also dont worry if there are any small air pockets, we'll be back to this soon.

[​IMG]

3rd Step

Now we are going to cover the rest of the lid. Slowly peel away the backing paper at an angle [see 2. in the picture below] whilst rubbing over the surface of the covering with a smooth cloth [see 1. in the picture below] Don't rush this part, it's essential to take your time as to make sure you don't leave a load of nasty looking air pockets beneath the covering. Now go back to the corner where you started from and if there are any creases there simply pull it up from the corner and reapply it using the method you just used on the other side.

[​IMG]

4th Step

Now for the trimming. Start off by using the stanley blade to slice the gap between the lid and the rest of the netbook [As pictured below 1.]

[​IMG]

Now after the cut is made use the cloth to rub the excess covering against the netbook just above the arrow [1.] in the picture above.

Then trim around the edges using the blade. Be careful not to scratch your netbook. Its quite easy if you rest the flat side of the blade against the edge of the lid and use that as a guide for the blade to cut against. This method should help you achieve a perfectly flush cut.

Remember to cut away all the little messy edges around the netbook as pictured below.

[​IMG]

Trim away along the area of the back of the netbook as pictured below [along the red dotted line] This is quite important as if you later decide to take the netbook apart to upgrade the ram or install bluetooth etc you wont be able to get it off or would pull off the covering in the process.

Now proceed to rub down any loose edges using the cloth.

You're Done!!!!

Now you can use it as a $700 coaster like the wife does...

[​IMG]

This tutorial is brought to you and owned by http://muppet-modding.com
    Do not copy this tutorial or redistribute it without express permission from the author. [Me]

...BeAkEr..., Aug 26, 2008
  2. ...BeAkEr...

tomo88

lol this is actually a very ingenious idea; laminate covering for books cost next to nothing and it's waterproof too. I'm too scared to try it tho; I'm afraid id make too many air bubbles and it'll look crappy. but if uve got a steady hand this is great

tomo88, Sep 3, 2008
  3. ...BeAkEr...

handy388

I use contactpaper from wallmart, and the paper actually ABSORB air bubbles.

handy388, Nov 15, 2008
  4. ...BeAkEr...

LAZ

LAZ, Dec 30, 2008
  5. ...BeAkEr...

Xeos

i just did this in 15minutes, so not to hard to do
    the covering is easy to remove, just pull :p

gone with the finger magnet :D

Xeos, Jan 3, 2009
  6. ...BeAkEr...

ihartley

In the UK old days, kids were required to "cover" their books - usually with wallpaper!!

Maybe I'll mod my AAO to give it that retro feel. Then again, maybe not..................

Get a good case - your AAO is safe!

ihartley, Jan 3, 2009
  7. ...BeAkEr...

vanaao

Awesome guide, I did it too, using the textbook-cover stuff. It was less than $4 and i have enough left over to cover it again if i don't like the look.

I made some small cuts on the corners to accomodate for the slight curve of the lid, but aside from that minor blip, it works awesome.

vanaao, Feb 27, 2009
  8. ...BeAkEr...

...BeAkEr...

thanks for the kind words, enjoy your netbook and visit m-m if you like this kind of tutorial

...BeAkEr..., Feb 28, 2009
Ask a Question