[GUIDE] How to dismantle the One and install new RAM.

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by Kaos2K, Jul 31, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kaos2K

Kaos2K

Admin insert - video and another guide http://www.aspireoneuser.com/2008/08/29 ... e-netbook/

P.D: Sorry for my english but im spanish :p

Kaos2K, Jul 31, 2008
  2. Kaos2K

KiNG

good job :)

KiNG, Jul 31, 2008
  3. Kaos2K

rory

Excellent job, I've got all the pics, just didnt get round to making the guide yet.
    Once you've dismantled once, you can do it with your eyes closed (I know I can)
    Maybe you should mention about the different sizes of screws for un-dismantling, like how on the back there are the 5 longest scresws and 3 small ones, and small ones everywhere else...?
    Just a thought
    Rory

rory, Jul 31, 2008
  4. Kaos2K

Kaos2K

Yeah i should mention that but when i dismantled the unit i put the screws in order to not get confused when i re-mount the unit :p

Kaos2K, Aug 1, 2008
  5. Kaos2K

rexworld

Removing that plastic/metal heatsink?

Could you go into more detail on that step after removing the keyboard? I see that metal/plastic panel, which I assume is some kind of heat sink or something like that. After removing all the screws, I can't figure out how to remove that panel safely. I've tried tugging on it, tried pushing it to one side to see if it would lift up on the other side. Obviously I don't want to try lifting it by inserting a screwdriver thru one of the holes.

Any hints or suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

--- Rex.

rexworld, Aug 3, 2008
  6. Kaos2K

Kaos2K

Re: Removing that plastic/metal heatsink?

Lift the plastic with you hands: there are tabs in both sides and in the front.

Kaos2K, Aug 4, 2008
  7. Kaos2K

rexworld

Ah, thank you that worked. Cool, now I've got 1.5 MB RAM.

Thank you again for the help.

rexworld, Aug 4, 2008
  8. Kaos2K

adaviel

Excellent! Your English is just fine :)

This device has to be the most absurdly difficult thing I have yet seen to add RAM (or change a battery - I see the button cell to
    run the system clock there, too).

2 notes:
    - I had some trouble removing the keyboard figuring out how exactly to push the little tabs. It seems that they must be pushed horizontally upwards (towards the screen) about 0.7mm. Having done that, I could lift the keyboard with a fingernail under a button. The top of the keyboard must be lifted clear of the case before it can be pushed gently towards the screen to free the lower edge.
    - I was stupid with the ribbon cables and took the connector apart instead of opening it. Mine are white with a black tab (not brown).
    Gently flip the tab up by sliding a fingernail along the cable, then pull on edge of the tab. It should click to a vertical position.

The store I bought it from (Staples in Canada) wanted $25 to install a $50 RAM. I thought that was ridiculous, but now I'm not so sure.
    Try and talk the store into selling you an Aspire with extra RAM pre-installed. Their risk.

adaviel, Aug 4, 2008
  9. Kaos2K

Kaos2K

It would be a good point if Acer included a plastic cover, just like the one to insert the future 3G module, instead of opening up all the netbook to install a single RAM module...

Kaos2K, Aug 4, 2008
  10. Kaos2K

Davidcowling

sorry for being picky, but i don't think even linpus linux can run on 1.5 mb of ram

sorry again, i can't help myself

Davidcowling, Aug 7, 2008
Ask a Question