GUIDE - AA ONE A150 - SNOW LEOPARD 10A432 INSTALL - VANILLA

Discussion in 'MacOS' started by asrikaran, Sep 9, 2009.

1. asrikaran

asrikaran

Hi All!

I finally got around to posting something meaningful to the forums. I successfully installed Snow Leopard onto my Acer Aspire One A150. Specs and instructions are below:

My specs:
    Acer Aspire One A150 Pearl
    Intel Atom N270 1.6 GHz, 1.5 GB RAM, 160GB HDD
    Dual Booting (Chameleon RC1) - Leopard (100GB)/Snow (52GB) - GPT - Got Rid of Windows Finally!

Here is how I got around to installing Snow Leopard 10A432 on my Aspire One. I take no credit for the information. I was wandering on Google to find a perfect guide and a few weeks ago, I stumbled upon a Russian website that had posted most part of these instructions. After battling with Google Translate and Babelfish, I finally was ready to post the instructions. I took a print of the instructions and downloaded the attachments before I started. If I ever find the website again, I will post back here. So without further ado, here we go.

- Installing from a working OS X 10.5.8 on aao-150 (bios 3310) - Partitioning GUID, bootloader pc-efi v10.2 in the EFI partition

1. Mount the original image and run the installation: Find the image from usual sources.

in the terminal type:

open /Volumes/Mac\ OS\ X\ Install\ DVD/System/Installation/Packages/OSInstall.mpkg

Complete Installation

2. We now have to prepare EFI partition and set the bootloader

unpack the attached archive to your desktop (you can choose other locations, the instructions below assume you unpacked to the desktop - download link below)

http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=4334 ... f6e8ebb871

While in terminal, type the following:
    sudo-s
    Password

diskutil list
    diskXs1 - hidden EFI partition HDD where we will set 10.6

format the EFI partition (Warning: Do not make mistakes with the disks and partitions - I am not responsible for your selections)

diskutil eraseVolume "HFS +" "EFI" /dev/diskXs1

Now we will put bootloader into the EFI partition

a. cd ~/Desktop/aa1/pc_efi

b. (Please note the period before this command) ./fdisk -f boot0 -u -y /dev/rdiskX (rdiskX here is your first drive that the EFI partition resides on)

c. dd if=boot1h of=/dev/rdiskXs1

d. mkdir /Volumes/EFI

e. mount_hfs /dev/diskXs1 /Volumes/EFI

f. cp boot_v10.2 /Volumes/EFI/boot

g. mkdir /Volumes/EFI/.fseventsd

h. touch /Volumes/EFI/.fseventsd/no_log

3. Set extensions (DSDT.aml made for aao150 bios 3310, if you have more hardware than the store version, you will need to make your own DSDT)

a. mkdir /Volumes/EFI/Extra

b. cp ~/Desktop/aa1/plist/*. plist /Volumes/EFI/Extra

c. cp ~/Desktop/aa1/dsdt/DSDT.aml /Volumes/EFI/Extra

d. mkdir /Volumes/EFI/Extra/Extensions

e. cp -R ~/Desktop/aa1/kexts/*.kext /Volumes/EFI/Extra/Extensions

4. IMPORTANT STEP! BY RULE DO THESE ON THE VOLUME YOU INSTALLED SNOW TO (X MARKS THE SPOT) :)

a. chmod -R 755 /Volumes/EFI/Extra/Extensions

b. chown -R root: wheel /Volumes/EFI/Extra/Extensions

c. chmod -R 755 /Volumes/x/System/Library/Extensions

d. chown -R root: wheel /Volumes/x/System/Library/Extensions

5. Create caches

a. kextcache -a i386 -m /Volumes/x/System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/Extensions.mkext /Volumes/x/System/Library/Extensions/Volumes/EFI/Extra/Extensions

b. kextcache -a i386 -m /Volumes/EFI/Extra/Extensions.mkext /Volumes/EFI/Extra/Extensions /Volumes/x/System/Library/Extensions

c. chmod 755 /Volumes/EFI/Extra/Extensions.mkext

d. chown root: wheel /Volumes/EFI/Extra/Extensions.mkext

e. chmod 755 /Volumes/x/System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/Extensions.mkext

f. chown -R root:wheel /Volumes/x/System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/Extensions.mkext

6. Unmount and remove EFI partition from view

a. umount -f /Volumes/EFI

b. rm -rf /Volumes/EFI

7. Reboot! :D
    The first boot is pretty long - be patient - keep your hands away from the power button! If you're bored, you can startup with key -v (Verbose), to see what we have going on there <LOL>

You should now hear the startup music and the rest is...well you know already ;)

MAINTENANCE ONLY! ONLY DO THIS IF SOMETHING IS NOT WORKING THE WAY IT SHOULD. With Snow I noticed the issue is mostly with permssions and the mkext is finicky.

Fixing rights and rebilding caches

In the terminal type (This is done from within Snow, if you cannot access Snow, you can also do this from Leo, just start adding /Volumes/Leo to the locations below)

a. chown root: wheel /

b.mount the EFI partition

- mkdir /Volumes/EFI

- mount_hfs /dev/diskXs1 /Volumes/EFI

- kextcache -a i386 -m /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/Extensions.mkext /System/Library/Extensions /Volumes/EFI/Extra/Extensions

- kextcache -a i386 -m /Volumes/EFI/Extra/Extensions.mkext /Volumes/EFI/Extra/Extensions /System/Library/Extensions

- umount-f /Volumes/EFI

- rm -rf /Volumes/EFI

- reboot

I didn't have time to work with the SD reader, I will post an update when I get a chance.

Everything else should work, restart, shutdown, speedstep, calibrating the display, touchpad, automatic switching sound on headphones

As I said, Snow is very finicky to the presence of caches and the proper permissions to files, so that if any kexts give you errors, do not forget to reboot to fix the rights and rebuild caches using the maintenance procedure.

A screenshot of my desktop is attached as well.

NOTE TO INTEL GMA950: Put the attached kexts in /S/L/E in Snow and go thorough the "MAINTENANCE ONLY PROCEDURE" again!!!!!
    http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=4334 ... f6e8ebb871

OTHER NOTES:
    - First startup took me almost 15-20 minutes.
    - Wireless is working after I edited the Info.plist for 1395 Broadcom Wireless in the IO80211Family.kext and entered my vendor id (pci14e4,4315)
    - Havent tested a lot of other things, but I know one thing for sure, on my A150, Snow flies better than Leopard!!!!!!!!!
    - Please PM me if you have any questions.
    SCREENSHOT OF MY INSTALLATION HERE: http://www.mediafire.com/imageview.php? ... oe&thumb=4

PLEASE, PLEASE - POST YOUR COMMENTS OR EXPERIENCE HERE!!!!

Thank you!

asrikaran, Sep 9, 2009
  2. asrikaran

semis

Wow, looks very promising, i will try it tomorrow! =)

semis, Sep 10, 2009
  3. asrikaran

arrasparus

arrasparus, Sep 12, 2009
  4. asrikaran

kennay

rofl

kennay, Sep 22, 2009
  5. asrikaran

semis

Sssso, replying - better late than never.
    This solution worked for me for a few days until i updated to 10.6.1, but i think i just made a mistake. I had to format my Netbook, now i reinstalled from scratch using this guide.

semis, Sep 22, 2009
  6. asrikaran

anvil

anyone have proper kext / setting for getting my 1024x600 video working again? I'm stuck at 800x600 and it quite painful...

anvil, Oct 1, 2009
  7. asrikaran

anvil

the fixed files can be found here, download his kext's and install. I just used the GREY and RED ones since I already had SL working properly. http://prasys.co.cc/2009/09/snow-leokexts-for-netbooks/

anvil, Oct 5, 2009
Ask a Question