GRUB loading error

Discussion in 'Linux' started by tdog10, Mar 12, 2010.

1. tdog10

tdog10

Hey everyone,

I have an AA1 ZG5. I have installed Ubuntu and several other linux distros along with Win. XP. Yesterday, I tried Win XP recovery and I thought it would erase the drive and restore Win XP. Instead, Win XP would not load. Yesterday, I used Ubuntu to try to erase some partitions. I should not have done it because I get the warning "GRUB loading. error: no such partition." What can I do to restore Win XP?

Thank you!

tdog10, Mar 12, 2010
  2. tdog10

RockDoctor

Get out your Windows CD and an external CD ROM drive? If you've fried both the XP partition and the recovery partition, that's basically your only choice. I believe there's a fixmbr command that one can execute from the CD to (possibly) restore the master boot record to its typical default configuration. Not sure if Acer went with the typical default configuration, though. You could also boot a a live Linux distro and use fdisk (or gparted if your live Linux has it) to see just how hosed your hard drive is.

RockDoctor, Mar 17, 2010
Ask a Question