Great repair service by Acer

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by sterckx, Sep 2, 2008.

1. sterckx

sterckx

Just some words to counter all the bad things I've heard about acer's customer service:

The day I first got my AA1 my battery wouldn't recharge, because of (what I think might have been) a malfunctioning power adapter. That was last wednesday.
    I called Acer and they started a procedure. I only had to call UPS to set a date on which they would pick up my laptop and bring it to the Acer Repair Center. Obviously I chose for next day pickup :)

Last saturday they sent me a text message to tell me they correctly received the package and to tell me they started working on it.
    And yesterday (monday!) they already sent me a text message to tell me they got it repaired and already sent it off to my address!

Day 1: faulty aa1
    Day 2: shipped with UPS
    Day 4: repair started
    Day 6: repair finished and shipped with UPS
    Day 8: laptop back home

Did I mention I live in Belgium and the Acer repair center is in the Netherlands?!
    I have to say I've regained my trust in Acer after having delivered a faulty laptop/power adapter. Good job, Acer!

sterckx, Sep 2, 2008
  2. sterckx

Achilles

Hey, well done!

I am dealing with the same service centre and haven't been so fortunate. We are still arguing as to whether the warranty is invalidated by installing extra RAM. I was assured by the Acer hot line in the UK (I am British but living in Holland) that this was OK and wouldn't invalidate the warranty (this also appears to be the case in N America). However Benelux seem to have had a different intepretation and want to charge 286 euro for repair for a machine only 2 weeks old when brought in!

Achilles, Sep 2, 2008
  3. sterckx

sterckx

Tell them their website literally says you can upgrade the ram to 1GB/1.5GB using one 512MB/1GB soDIMM module!
    Check www.acer.com/aspireone > about aspire one > system memory

Maybe that's a good point for getting your warranty anyway.
    You can always try ...

sterckx, Sep 2, 2008
  4. sterckx

Achilles

Its a long saga!!! I have argued this and written several lengthly e-mails pointing own that their own documentation says this. On the phone the support guy said that there had obviously been a communication problem and they should have put this in the specs!

I had called the support hotline in the UK who confirmed a) that memory upgrade was OK, b) that it didn't violate the warranty and c) the support guy there even gave me instructions! Although Acer supposedly offers a worldwide guarantee with the same terms and condtions it seems that individual service centres are interpreting the rules their own way.

Achilles, Sep 4, 2008
  5. sterckx

wimpie

Your lucky
    im living in the Netherlands and stil waiting for a answer to my email about a problem i fixed myself otherwise i stil had a non working machine for 4 day`s now
    so resuming the Acer Support even in the Netherlands and writing to them in dutch or english is RUK RUK RUK and very RUK
    Translating in Dutch> acersupport is een klote bedoening en antwoorden kunnen ze niet .... hoop dat ze mee lezen
    en raad iedereen af om zn K.T ding te kopen.

wimpie, Sep 6, 2008
  6. sterckx

sterckx

Why don't you just call customer support?
    I got referred to the customer support in the Netherlands and they helped me right away.

If I remember correctly, their number is on the acer-website.

sterckx, Sep 6, 2008
  7. sterckx

wimpie

Why paying for a servicenumber(0,10€ /min) and that for a problem they obviously ignore and where a member(macles) of this community has a workaround for
    I and al buyers have a international warranty I registered my product on the website and there is also a servicerequest by email
    so its simple the have to respond on (my) email and servicerequest and not collecting money from any callers

wimpie, Sep 6, 2008
  8. sterckx

wimpie

hm......... last wednesday
    you are posting this on 21 aug>
    Power adapter broken?
    by sterckx on Thu Aug 21, 2008 1:10 pm
    last wednesday from 2sept back is 28 aug so where are the rest of those day`s

wimpie, Sep 6, 2008
  9. sterckx

SWAT Reaper

Remember, If you live in the UK.
    UK Consimer law states that your contract is with the shop you bought it from and not with the manufacturer. If something happens within the first few weeks, take it back and the shop must replace it there and then (They do not have the option to send it for repair). If they don't have any stock, its your decision to wait for stock to come in or have it repaired. If however there is a better version available, you can also opt to upgrade at your cost, but the retailer has no obligation to offer a free upgrade.
    If your unit breaks within the first few weeks or is found to be faulty, you can also argue that it wasn't fit for the purpose that it was sold. This also gives you the option of a full refund, but you must have a valid reciept and the unit must not have been opened or altered in any way.

SWAT Reaper, Sep 7, 2008
  10. sterckx

oldsouth

Re: Great repair service by Acer BS!!

I'm sorry but the repair service at Acer sucks!!! I can't believe how crappy I have been treated by them. I bought my AAO-150 on Aug 28, on Aug 29 it started acting weird (would not turn on only LED - bios issue I thought). I held it a week trying to decide what to do. Took it back to Best Buy and the Geek Squad looked at it only to say they could not fix it and should be exchanged....problem Best Buy was sold out everywhere!!! Took it home called Acer which authorized a return number for repair. The Acer repair center in Temple TX received it on 9/10... they never communicated with me after that. I called on 9/17 and was told it needed a new motherboard, but that the motherboard was on back order and would not arrive until Oct. 15!!!!! I said hell no, replace my unit screw fixing it. The CSR put me on hold for 10 mins and returned saying they have no units to replace mine with....I'm screwed! Sensing my fate I said then they should be willing to offer some upgrades for the long wait I was going to endure. Nope, not even an olive branch from Acer....they suck and deserve some bad press about the problems surrounding the AAO. I want my money back so I can buy the Dell netbook.

oldsouth, Sep 18, 2008
  11. sterckx

zafunk

I have also had a good experience with Acer Support. About three weeks after I bought my AA150, it bricked. No bios, or setup screen, no HD noises, just the light on the power button and the fan would come on. I tried Mackles bios flash, but that didn't work for me.

By this time, my exchange privilege with Best Buy had expired, so, I bit the bullet and tried the Acer support site. I filled out the forms and arranged for the courier to pick up my Aspire One the following day. It took about 10 business days from the time I filled out the service claim until the return of my repaired AA1 (new mobo). Quite reasonable IMO.

I didn't have to talk to anyone on the phone. No one called me to argue that it wasn't covered under warranty - despite the fact that I had opened my AA1 to change out the wireless card. All in all, I'm quite happy with the service. The down side is that I'm not too confident that this hardware will last very long :(

Note: I did put the original wireless card back in before returning the AA1 for service, but I think it would be obvious to any technician that the case had been opened.

zafunk, Oct 31, 2008
Ask a Question