gps reciever via blue tooth

Discussion in 'Networking' started by cellar, Aug 22, 2008.

1. cellar

cellar

hi guys,
    following the "USB Bluetooth Adapters (Linux) - WORKING*" thread, i managed to get my bluetooth usb dongle up and running. now i'd like to get my bluetooth gps reciever connected to the AA1 as well. can anyone help me on this issue?
    pls keep in mind that my linux capabilities are close to nill (yeah, linpus linux is my first linux contact :( )

bt dongle:
    Trust BT-2400p
    (model no 15542)

GPS reciever:
    Navilock BT-359
    SiRF Star III High Performance GPS Chipset

any recomendations on the GPS software? i'd be using it for getting round within central europe (by car mostly).
    greets,
    cellar

cellar, Aug 22, 2008
  2. cellar

ste

HI!!

Yeah!! I would like a gps on my AAO, anyone help us?!?

Thanks!

ste, Oct 15, 2008
  3. cellar

nmesisca

I have installed my bluetooth GPS receiver on my AA1.
    I was wondering if anyone could suggest an off-line navigation tool.
    basically I would like something like google maps but GPS enabled and usable when you're not connected to the internet with Wifi or wired.

thanks for the suggestions.

N

nmesisca, Oct 15, 2008
  4. cellar

nchntr

I have setup my AA1 to do exaclty that. Google Earth with GPS and offline (or mobile cell internet). It works great, I have used several different setups (software and gps). I did all this in MS Windows not Linux, so i may not be much help to you. You should note (I had Google Earth Plus subscrition $20 a year) it worked "ok" with my GPS'. It expired, I got a program called Goops it works much better (costs the same to buy, not a yearly subsrciption) I guess my point here is that the 3rd pary GPS programs that link to Google Earth are much better than the features available in the Google Earth Plus/Pro paid versions. These programs all woth with the standard free Google Earth.

I dont know much about linux (my Linux Experience is linited to a Nokia n770 running maemo maper and it worked flawless) uses google maps (pretty close to GE)

Please post your progress, as if this works successfully i will consider adding a multi-boot linux to my AA1, for now I staying winth MS Windows (Vista) because there are programs out there easy to find and easy to use.

nchntr, Oct 15, 2008
  5. cellar

jinx022

The steps for this are described at http://www.justuber.com/blog/2007/10/16/bluetooth-gps-on-ubuntu-gutsy/

jinx022, Nov 23, 2008
  6. cellar

cellar

thx for the posts guys.
    I'm currently under a little stress due to studying. I'll check up on the link asap and post progress.
    cellar

cellar, Dec 5, 2008
  7. cellar

lohtse

Right guys this for us Windows users....

I use the following software on my netbook with my gps..

Garmin Mapsource
    Garmin MobileXT for PCs (ideal for road satnav)
    Memory Map
    Oziexplorer
    Microsoft Autoroute

hope that helps.

regards
    Andrew

lohtse, Dec 5, 2008
Ask a Question