GOT MY HUAWEI E1550 WORKING - Now with ICON

Discussion in 'Networking' started by AcmeUK, May 27, 2010.

1. AcmeUK

AcmeUK

Hi Guys

I have got my Huawei E1550 working on my Linpus AAO (model: ZG5) using the Sakis3G 'shell script'.

It was quite easy to do. Here is my simple, step by step, guide how to do it:-

1, Ensure that your system has all the latest updates

2, Go to http://www.sakis3g.org and locate the Quick Usage Guide.

3, Open a system Terminal. (If you don't know how, then ask yourself 'Do I have the basic skills needed to attempt this?')

4, Follow the Download, Verify, Uncompress & Change attr steps. I used copy and paste to get the commands into the Terminal to avoid 'typos'.

5, Prefix the Execute command with sudo.

This is because the Sakis3G script needs root privileges to implement the set up, and will prompt you to supply the root password. Using sudo gets around this.

6, At the Select Action menu Choice 1 is already highlighted, press your Enter key.

7, Make sure any wireless connections are disconnected, and unplug any Ethernet cables.

8, Plug your E1550 into a USB port. Wait for green/blue light to start flashing and for your system to open File Manager.

9, Switch back to the Terminal. At the Select Modem menu Choice 1 (USB Devices) is already selected, press your Enter key.

10, At the next menu select Choice 2 (HUAWEI Mobile) and press Enter.

11, Then wait while the script runs and you are switched back to File Manager.

12, Switch back to the Terminal. Select choice 1, press Enter.

13, You should then get a notification 'E1550 connected', press Enter.

14, At next menu select Exit and press Enter.

15, Start FireFox.

At this point I was connected to my Mobile Broadband supplier’s website that informed me that I was out of credit.

I did not have to put in any APN information or PIN number. HOWEVER my E1550 had previously been used on a WinXP laptop and some information must have been stored on the E1550 as my supplier’s website recognised me.

My supplier is the Three Network in the UK, and I am on PAYG.

So guys there you have it, try it out and report back.

My sincerest thanks got to Sakis for his sterling efforts in producing his script.

Equally sincere thanks go to Josua Dietze, and fellow contributors, for producing Usb-ModeSwitch which is at the heart of the Sakis3G script.

Make an Icon

The one problem is that each time you need to connect you need to open the Terminal and repeat steps 5 onwards. What is needed is a single click icon method of launching and configuring the Huawei E1550

In response to my posting on the Sakis3G forum, Sakis has given me a way of implementing this.

Here is my simple, step by step, version of the Sakis method:-

1, Open the Terminal and create a .desktop file by running this command:
    Code:
    sudo /usr/bin/sakis3g desktop DESKTOP=/usr/share/applications DESKTOPICON="SAKIS3G"
    (Again I used copy and paste to get the command into the Terminal to avoid 'typos'.)

2, Open File Manager (Files>My Files) and navigate to /home/user/.config/xfce4/desktop/
    (Type it into the launch bar)

3, Locate the file group-app.xml. Right click on it and select Open With>Open with “Mousepad”.

4, Use find to locate the text ‘Email’ (Search>Find)

This is the part of the file that controls the Icons shown in the Connect panel.

5, Add at the bottom of the block
    Code:
     <app sequence="7">/usr/share/applications/sakis3g.desktop</app>
    If you have already added further icons to the group then you will need to increase the sequence number from "7"

6, Save the file and exit.

7, In File Manager navigate to /usr/share/applications and locate the file Sakis3G (pressing Page Down 8 times got me to the location).

8, Click on the Sakis3G desktop configuration file, then Right Click on it and select Open With>Open with “Mousepad”.

9, Find the Execute line and replace the whole line with:

Code:
     Exec=sudo /home/user/sakis3g --interactive toggle MODEM="12d1:1446 12d1:1001" APN=3internet 
    You will have to change the APN if you are not on the same network as me :)

10, Save the file and exit.

11, Turn off your WiFi using the switch on Right Front Edge of your keyboard, then reboot your netbook.

12, Wait until boot process is complete (disk light finished flashing) and insert your E1550. After a few seconds the File manager opens; wait for the flashing green/blue light.

13, Click on the More icon in the Connect panel to give you the extended Connect Panel. You should see a new icon titled Sakis3g.

14, Click on the Sakis3G icon, you should get the Linpus ‘doing something’ pointer (the arrow with a moving ‘halo’).

15, After a few seconds the File manager opens; after a few more seconds the flashing light on the E1550 changes to a steady light. You are connected!

16, (Optional) To check that you really have got a connection, run the ifconfig command in the Terminal. You should see a ppp0 connection. Close the Terminal.

17, Start FireFox and enjoy.

To disconnect, click again on the Sakis3G icon. You will see the light on the E1550 change back to flashing.

ENJOY

BillP

NOTE!

I have done my best to document this process, however I do not have a 'virgin' configuration to prove it on.

I would be grateful if someone could test the process and report back.

Thanks

BillP

AcmeUK, May 27, 2010
  2. AcmeUK

jerjo2

I'm interested in testing this on my AAO but I've got Telenor as operator.
    Which changes will I have to do, my APN is: services.telenor.se. Where should I place that?
    I can't see anything about APN, except 3internet, in this instructions?

EDIT: Perhaps I just should replace "3internet" with "services.telenor.se"? 3internet seems to be the complete APN? Is it that simple?

Thanks in advance!

jerjo2, Jun 6, 2010
  3. AcmeUK

AcmeUK

Hi jerjo2

Thanks for being the first to respond to my post.

I got my E1550 working by following the instructions on the sakis3g web site.

You say your provider is Telnor. See if this page on the Sakis3G website gives you the required information:-

http://wiki.sakis3g.org/wiki/index.php?title=Known_operators

Regards and good luck

BillP

AcmeUK, Jun 6, 2010
  4. AcmeUK

jerjo2

OK, it now works for me (I read your comment after I've got it running)!!
    Actually I'm writing this comment on AA1 connected thru Huawei E1550 and APN = services.telenor.se.

I have a few comments to "Make an icon:
    #1. Couldn't find sakis3g so I had to change to :sudo /home/user/sakis3g desktop DESKTOP=/usr/share/applications DESKTOPICON="SAKIS3G" to fix that.
    #7. Should be: /usr/share/applications
    #9. Had, of course, to change APN: Exec=sudo /home/user/sakis3g --interactive toggle MODEM="12d1:1446 12d1:1001" APN=services.telenor.se

But, as I said in the beginning - NOW IT IS RUNNING!!

Thanks!

jerjo2, Jun 6, 2010
  5. AcmeUK

AcmeUK

Hi again jerjo2

Great that you got it working.

Thanks for the input saying how you got it working. I have edited the instructions to correct the #7 Make an Icon line.

I will have to look at the #1 Make an Icon line, perhaps I made a mistake. Do not have my AA1 to hand to check.

Hopefully your input will help others to get their E1550s working.

Sakis would be pleased if you submitted a report of a working setup. See here:-

http://forum.sakis3g.org/smf/index.php?PHPSESSID=373c2b0221d7e2dbf7caa4705f6d4582&board=5.0
    You could add it as a comment to my post.

Thanks and best wishes

BillP

AcmeUK, Jun 6, 2010
Ask a Question