Google Toolbar

Discussion in 'Linux' started by fernzaty, Mar 22, 2009.

1. fernzaty

fernzaty

How am I supposed to uninstall this? I go to View/Toolbars and deselect it, then to Tools/Add-ons, highlight it then click uninstall, and as per normal, it tells be the thing will be gone the next time I restart FF. And is it? NO. Once again I get the dialogue asking me if I want to make Google my default search engine, and the toolbar (I'm working hard to moderate my language here) is still there. I'm beginning to think it was written by the same people responsible for Real Player.

I wouldn't say I'm one of the aluminium foil hat brigade, but an inherent suspicion of big corporations coupled with a simple dislike of these types of toolbar anyway, makes me want to have my Aspire free of it, so any advice will be gratefully received.

fernzaty, Mar 22, 2009
  2. fernzaty

freddie

Hi fernzaty

I've had the same problem! It was there when I bought my Aspire several days ago. That time I got rid of it easily by going to the firefox menu view/toolbars and unchecking the Google toolbar, and I think I also uninstalled it as you suggest

But today when I started Firefox, up came two screens both saying "Thanks for installing the Google toolbar"
    BUT
    a) I didn't install it - it just arrived!!!
    b) It was a struggle to remove it as the 'Finish' button remained greyed out when I unchecked the first two boxes.
    It was only when I checked 'Disable pagerank' that the Finish button was enabled and I clicked it and the nag screen went.
    c) and yes - you've guessed - by then it had clobbered ny homepage and switched me to the Acer default - which is a Google based page. So then I had the hassle of re-selecting my home page again

That seemed OK until I did an uninstall and I was back to square one - Google said it will install the toolbar on next restart - and it did - but THIS TIME I got rid of it by just closing the window!!!

But it is still there in the add-ons and toolbar options - although unchecked. Anyone know how do we get rid of it altogether?

This is the sort of annoyance I used to get with Microsoft - I had hoped to escape it by coming over to Linux!

Anyone had similar problems?

freddie, Mar 29, 2009
  3. fernzaty

ch5082

This has been happening to me exactly. I've tried to uninstall google toolbar, but each time I open FF there it is again with the same page rank questions. I think I'm going to uninstall FF. (If I can figure out how). We'll see what happens.

ch5082, Apr 28, 2009
  4. fernzaty

freddie

freddie, Apr 28, 2009
  5. fernzaty

solpuerto

Hi freddie

How are you doing, recovered from all that scenery up North yet?
    This will be no help to your problems with Google but when I post your www.google.co.uk in my browser I get what you call the simple fairly blank etc... screen.

Also I do not have the problems with the Google toolbar, I can switch it on and off as I want by right right clicking on the toolbars.
    The version of Firefox I am running is 3.0.3 and I installed this upgrade from the Aspire One Update page. Even before my update I did not get your problems.

Have you been having these problem since day one and what version of Firefox are you running? Not that I know what is going wrong.

Best wishes

solpuerto, Apr 28, 2009
  6. fernzaty

freddie

Hi solpuerto - thanks for your earlier help.

Yes Iona was brilliant - wall to wall sunshine and the public transport went like clockwork (except it was diesel). Round trip was 1,100 miles and I didn't lose any of the party!

My Firefox is 2.0.0.14 and I had the Google toolbar problem from day one. I eventually got rid of the toolbar, but it looks like there is still some wretched Google code screwing things up - rather reminiscent of those awful Microsoft days!

I have a basic Linpus AA1 SSD unmodified except for Thunderbird

freddie, Apr 28, 2009
Ask a Question