Google Talk - gmail v googlemail.com email address

Discussion in 'Networking' started by ajarratt, Mar 9, 2009.

1. ajarratt

ajarratt

Just bought an Acer Aspire One A150-Ab Netbook, Linpus Linux Lite version, 1GB RAM, 120GB HD for my wife's birthday this Friday.

I'm trying to set things up for her in secret and have hit a problem with Messenger.

I set up Google Talk using my gmail account to test it - no problems.

When I enter her details I realise that she has a googlemail.com email address which isn't accepted in the account settings (seems it only accepts gmail.com addresses)

Since gmail addresses are now longer available is there any work around or will I have to set up a new MSN account for her?

Many thanks in advance for your help.

Adrian
    PS Everything else seems fine - great machine - I might ask for one for my birthday!

ajarratt, Mar 9, 2009
  2. ajarratt

ronime

I have found that "gmail.com" and "googlemail.com" are usually interchangeable...

ronime, Mar 9, 2009
  3. ajarratt

ajarratt

ronime - many thanks for such a quick response.

I knew that there were legal problems with Google and whoever owns the 'gmail' name but didn't realise that you can put either @gmail.com or @googlemail.com after a username and both work!

I now have to wait for my wife to go out before I can put this to the test!

Thanks again
    Adrian

ajarratt, Mar 9, 2009
  4. ajarratt

ronime

Your mileage may vary but it has always worked for me.

My daughter and myself were originally assigned @gmail.com user names and my wife and son registered later and were given @googlemail.com usernames. We all use "@gmail.com" now.

This extends to server names as well, e.g. if you are configuring Thunderbird to fetch your Google mail via IMAP then imap.gmail.com and imap.googlemail.com both seem to work, as do smtp.gmail.com and smtp.googlemail.com.

ronime, Mar 9, 2009
  5. ajarratt

ajarratt

I have now had a chance to test this but with no luck.

Changing [email protected] to [email protected] works for signing into the google account but not for the google talk account.

I get the message: "Your Google Talk account [email protected] is error. Not Authorised"

It's not the end of the world but would be nice to set up Messenger in her own right rather than her having to sign in using my gmail Google Talk account.

Any further thoughts?

ajarratt, Mar 10, 2009
  6. ajarratt

ronime

Have you tried logging in with just the username, i.e. drop the "@googlemail.com"?

Not sure which Google Talk client you are using, but I have just logged in to the Google Talk standalone client for XP using my wife's credentials.

I logged in using "my_wife" rather than "[email protected]" or "[email protected]".

Note also that there has been another Gmail outage today. Not sure if Google Talk is also affected...

ronime, Mar 10, 2009
  7. ajarratt

ajarratt

I'm trying to set up & log into Google talk using the Messenger dialog boxes on AAO (Linpus)

In entering a username it forces use of the '@gmail.com' extension - I cannot continue past this point unless the username specifies '[email protected]'

As you say, this is not the case when logging in using the 'usual' Google Talk interface in XP where a username of 'my_wife' is accepted.

Many thanks for your suggestions & ideas - I've got a nasty feeling that this maybe a glitch in the Linpus... :(

Adrian

ajarratt, Mar 10, 2009
  8. ajarratt

ronime

If you are using the Acer IM client that ships with Linpus then you might like to consider switching to Pidgin or the Google Talk Gadget instead.

ronime, Mar 10, 2009
  9. ajarratt

ajarratt

Ronime - many thanks for your help. I've run out of time before my wife's birthday so I've opted for Skype which installed quickly & without issue. I've put the icon on the desktop & everything seems to be fine. Just need to get the rest of the family to open Skype accounts now :D .

I still want to explore Pidgin, but will have to wait until my wife has finished getting to grips with/playing with the AAO

Thanks again
    Adrian

ajarratt, Mar 12, 2009
Ask a Question