Google, Apple, and other companies fighting FBI?

Discussion in 'Laptop General Discussion' started by IBMPC8088, Feb 18, 2016.

1. IBMPC8088

IBMPC8088

In a move that doesn't seem to make all that much sense with all of their compliance against netizens and users everywhere online, suddenly Apple is making a stand against decrypting iPhone data of encrypted phones...and even Microsoft wil help them against the FBI? Is this not strange? Considering the NSA being able to still do what they do, is this not stranger yet?

Google, Apple, various tech companies banding together to fight against FBI requests for decryption of technology, iphone, and other devices?

IBMPC8088, Feb 18, 2016
  2. IBMPC8088

djtech

They can't decrypt it. Its not as easy as it sounds. I would like to find a single guy or even a nicely amped up system that would be able to decrypt something like that. Encryptions are unbreakable in most cases. The FBI is just using this issue to gain backdoor access to iOS and OSx just like they have gained backdoor access into Windows.

djtech, Feb 18, 2016
    IcyBC and IBMPC8088 like this.
  3. IBMPC8088

Sefie

Uhm, I understand why the government says they want to do that, but I don't trust them anymore :p Soo.... fishy, fishy as usual. They are NOT to be trusted, and I am glad Apple is not making it easier for them. Well done.

Sefie, Feb 18, 2016
    IBMPC8088 likes this.
  4. IBMPC8088

IBMPC8088

I hear that showboat Belize fugitive John Mcafee was pretending that he could decrypt the iPhone for them when Apple wouldn't, but someone needs to inform Mr. Mcafee that there is a diference between giving them back garbage and the actual decrypted data they are looking for. If he goes about decryption the way he went about releasing a horrid antivirus product, I wouldn't trust the offer for even a minute.

You're right that they just want to get mobile backdoors, and it's harder for them to do than usual since Apple is notorious for locking down restrictions on their hardware beyond what is needed. Those extra restrictions used to keep programmers out are now keeping the people who want to monitor them out somewhat, too. A little bit of karma.

IBMPC8088, Feb 20, 2016
  5. IBMPC8088

Tara

Apple's CEO Tim Cook is the one standing up to the FBI. The other companies are lending their moral support.

This issue just isn't about hacking into one or two phones. The government has been trying for some time to get a back door to encrypted phones. Apple is refusing to create the back door software. This would all phones vulnerable. Apple doesn't want to try to create the software and I agree.

Tara, Feb 21, 2016
  6. IBMPC8088

IcyBC

I agree with this 110%! They just want to have an easy way to gain information from the citizens, and have more control over our lives!

IcyBC, Feb 23, 2016
  7. IBMPC8088

something back

something back, Feb 25, 2016
  8. IBMPC8088

thess

I can understand that, but I know the FBI once tried to get Apple to trace an ipod of a teenage girl that was missing and they refused. Also of a terrorist recently. They could have helped find her sooner but didn't cooperate. So sometimes I wonder what Apple's motives really are.

thess, Feb 25, 2016
  9. IBMPC8088

Krissttina Isobe

Shouldn't decrypting be done by experts who can break codes of this sort? The manufacturer doesn't decrypt codes, it manufactures products. I don't understand why the help of Apple is needed really since breaking codes is done by experts. Unless Apple can do it, but is under some kind of duress not to help the FBI.

Krissttina Isobe, Mar 4, 2016
  10. IBMPC8088

djtech

It should be done by experts. Anyways, thanks to the New York judge, we know now that the FBI won't be able to push around Apple in every case.

djtech, Mar 7, 2016
Ask a Question