Good IMAP Email Client with small footprint

Discussion in 'Linux' started by schmadde, Aug 22, 2008.

1. schmadde

schmadde

The aspire one mail client apparently uses IMAP like POP, which is very annoying if you access your mail from a lot of different computers. The status of emails (deleted, replied to, unread etc) does not get updatet, which leads to a lot of confusion for me. I hate this.

Does anyone have a good recommendation for a replacement? On my desktop I use evolution, but it is a memory hog, has a lot of dependencies and is also very buggy. The features of Aspire One Email client are good enough for me, I don't need more. Any ideas?

schmadde, Aug 22, 2008
  2. schmadde

z0mbi3

There is only one good EMail client for Linux: claws-mail

Super lightweight, super fast.

z0mbi3, Aug 22, 2008
  3. schmadde

wim

Any ideas with regards to installation ? I get a missing dependency on libetpan.

Thx,
    Wim

wim, Sep 8, 2008
  4. schmadde

N6546R

Thunderbird isn't too bad. I've used both it and Evolution and agree that Evolution can be a bit of a memory hog. Thunderbird uses around 60M of real memory on my box in typical use, and the panes fit well into 1024x600.

The email module in the Opera web browser isn't too bad either, although I had some issues with getting a page layout that fit the AA1 screen to my liking. It also has a slightly different take on organizing email which can require some time to get used to.

What's the memory footprint of claws, and how does it compare to Thunderbird and Opera feature-wise?

Perry
    www.kidpub.com

N6546R, Sep 9, 2008
  5. schmadde

miquelb

Wim, did you allready solve your "missing dependency" error? I'm getting the same error.

Thnx, Miquel

miquelb, Sep 25, 2008
  6. schmadde

RockDoctor

I offer two options:
    1:
    Code:
    sudo yum check-update
    yum install claws-mail
    This should pull in the latest version of libetpan for Fedora 8, which is what you need.

However, if the above does not work, there are workarounds. I just updated claws-mail on my desktop's F8 install. Here's how:
    Code:
    1. Go to [url]http://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/packages[/url] in your browser
    2. Enter "libetpan" (without quotes) in the search box
    3. Click on  libetpan-0.54-1.fc8
    4. Click on libetpan-0.54-1.fc8.i386.rpm to download. Pay attention to where it's being downloaded!
    5. Enter "claws-mail" in the search box (without the quotes)
    6. Click on claws-mail-3.5.0-1.fc8
    7. Download claws-mail-3.5.0-1.fc8.i386.rpm.
    8. Open up a terminal window
    9. cd <directory-where-you-downloaded-the above-rpm-files>
    10. sudo rpm -ivh *.rpm
    11. Enjoy

RockDoctor, Sep 25, 2008
  7. schmadde

wim

(for Miquel)
    I was able to get everything installed based on the post by RockDoctor.

The libetpan rpm installed whithout any further tinkering.

I needed to install the follwing to resolve dependencies for claws-mail though :
    yum install compface
    yum install pgpme
    yum install pilot-link

before I could run the claws-mail rpm.

After that I have a working claws-mail client.

In addition I removed the Acer Email client by executing : yum remove evolution-data-server.

wim, Sep 27, 2008
  8. schmadde

kevin

Thunderbird is somewhat heavier than claws, to be sure. But Thunderbird has some features that claws lacks which I think are absolutely essential these days. Most obviously, Thunderbird has extremely efficient spam filtering built in. I believe that there are plug-ins for claws to do this stuff, but I don't know how good they are, and I'm sure they increase the memory size of the basic app. There's also some question about claws's support for TLS and SMTP authentication, but that may have improved lately.

Thunderbirds also supports the excelling Lightning calendar plug-in. Although Thunderbird is moderately memory-hungry, adding Lightning does not seem to make it any bigger.

kevin, Sep 28, 2008
  9. schmadde

miquelb

Thanks All, it's working now.

miquelb, Sep 29, 2008
  10. schmadde

malmazan

I was able to install claws following the instructions on this thread.

I am unable to add a desktop icon though.

This does not seem to work:

<app sequence="12>/usr/share/applications/fedora-claws-email.desktop</app>

malmazan, Feb 14, 2009
  11. schmadde

malmazan

I was able to sort this out. No desktop file seems copied when Claws is installed even though its is the RPM. I extracted it manually.

1. However, i have not been able to make it the default email program even though i deleted the original email software that came with the A1. When you click on an email link on a web site nothing happens.

2. The read state of messages does not seem to be updated on the server for IMAP accounts. Is this normal?

malmazan, Feb 21, 2009
  12. schmadde

malmazan

Correction. Webmail shows messages read on Claws alright. It's Microsoft's Outlook that does not reflect the read state of the messages at the server when they are finally downloaded.

malmazan, Feb 27, 2009
Ask a Question