GMA Booster - clock your GMA 950 back to 400MHz!

Discussion in 'Windows' started by S0L, Feb 1, 2009.

1. S0L

S0L

Spotted this over at the MSI Wind forums (and mentioned in the WOW topic here) but GMA Booster has been released.

This allows you to reclock your GMA 950 graphics back to it's intended 400Mhz - instead of it's stock 166MHz. As a disclaimer, I can't vouch for if this will fry your Aspire but mine seems OK so far. As with any overclocking - you takes your chances :p

Website for it is here:

http://www.gmabooster.com/

I've tried it on WOW and it does feel smoother. I'm currently grabbing Half Life 2 via Steam to see if this makes it playable...

Note the software is commercial, but you get a 7 day free trial so you try before you buy. Apparently it'll be less than $10 to register.

I figured I'd share this as it might well make a difference to gaming on the Aspire :)

Sol

S0L, Feb 1, 2009
  2. S0L

lohtse

yep have tried it and does make a little different... BUT it confticts with A1CTL fan control and closes it down... so is bit of a bummer

lohtse, Feb 1, 2009
  3. S0L

benjgvps

I noticed a difference in OpenGL based games such as Teeworlds. I can't seem to find a price though.

benjgvps, Feb 8, 2009
  4. S0L

Ranger Wolf

just tolet everyone know, the creator is changing the software to make it an indefenate trial based software. so it will be free. just wait till he can get the changes to the site, and he'll be uploading the new version

Ranger Wolf, Feb 8, 2009
  5. S0L

PGH_One_User

Sounds interesting. I'm tagging along for the feedback.

PGH_One_User, Feb 8, 2009
  6. S0L

chuckcalo

There's something about that site that I don't trust =\.

chuckcalo, Feb 8, 2009
  7. S0L

benjgvps

Well, 1.2A is out. No changes that I have noticed. I tried HL1:OF in OpenGL rendering and noticed that that worked well too. So, he is going to make it free? I was just about ready to buy...

benjgvps, Feb 8, 2009
  8. S0L

ccwh

I have a problem with GMA Booster : Internal Error, after i see a gray box called "Form1"
    AA1Ctrl was disabled. .NET 3.0 Installed.
    I will try to install release 3.5

ccwh, Feb 8, 2009
  9. S0L

Darkminus

do my Aspire One risks somthing if I install that?

Darkminus, Feb 9, 2009
  10. S0L

ccwh

GMA Booster run with .NET 3.5. :D

a more hot Aspire one ?

ccwh, Feb 10, 2009
  11. S0L

lohtse

LOL Free nope if you look at the site you will have to download a NEW build every week as it will expire every 7 days... BUT if you make a donation you will be provided with a key that will not expire...... Hmmmmm is a fun way of saying it's still shareware...

He should just release it without an expire date and allow users to download new versions as and when available just like all other freeware. That way he is more likely to get a donations from users. As to thye donation sidre he hasn't suggested a minimum so guess 1p is enough then lol :twisted:

regards
    Andrew

lohtse, Feb 10, 2009
  12. S0L

midgetdiablo

Can someone upload this on rapidshare or any other website uploader? That would be very helpful to the community. Thanks.

UPDATE: Okay I went back to the source of the OP and found better link to download from: http://depositfiles.com/en/files/vav1es7mn
    Enjoy.

midgetdiablo, Feb 12, 2009
  13. S0L

jeremysdad

Update: That link has been removed for copyright infringement. LOL! (nolol).

jeremysdad, Feb 15, 2009
  14. S0L

AceAspire

I downloaded this and tried it out. I played through the second level of Halo with the GMA Booster turned off, then retried the level with the GMA Booster turned on. I really didn't notice any difference in FPS. The big battle scenes would still slow down, and I didn't have a way to test and see if the base FPS improved at all. From a playing standpoint, it ran the same.

AceAspire, Feb 20, 2009
  15. S0L

Gallean

err.. I think in the long run, with regards to games and gaming, it's usually the video card power which has the last say... so..

Gallean, Feb 20, 2009
  16. S0L

hansbehrends

Tried the GMA Booster. It pops open with a weird error message but then seems to run ok (this is in Windows Vista).
    I noticed the FPS going up a good bit in GTA 3 @ 800x 600, it plays ok but crashes with GMA Booster at 400 MHz, at 250 it still does it but far less (all other settings are same as 250 for me).

In F.E.A.R. I noticed a very substantial increase in FPS from barely playable to quite playable @ 640 x 480 medium settings. This was at 400 MHz. But with all games YMMV of course.

hansbehrends, Feb 25, 2009
  17. S0L

DougHillman

You "noticed" or you saw actual frame rate increases using a program such as FRAPS?

DougHillman, Feb 25, 2009
  18. S0L

Ranger Wolf

Heres my post in another thread about this program

Ranger Wolf, Feb 26, 2009
  19. S0L

morrislee

anyone got the "internal error!" box with form 1 with a gray box on top left? any solution to this?

morrislee, Mar 11, 2009
  20. S0L

morrislee

I got it working now, installing all the windows upodate seems to work

but it really only goes up to 250Mhz according to everest

half life 2 seems to have like almost no change in performance. I think making it true 400mhz will make it more playable.

morrislee, Mar 11, 2009
Ask a Question