Globetrotter USB Orange 3g Uk working

Discussion in 'Networking' started by ccurrah, Sep 22, 2008.

1. ccurrah

ccurrah

I got it working by the following:

Download the Vodaphone connection manager
    https://forge.betavine.net/frs/?group_i ... ase_id=116

Use the Beta3 run version and just follow the install instructions. They are pretty simple, just run the downloaded file and that's it. Nothing else installed beforehand in terms of hardware drivers, just the above.

Worked first time after setting permissions on peers folder (this is described in the documentation). Seems to be fast. All you do once the software is installed is plug in your usb whenever you want internet access and it automatically connects in the background and away you go, no prompts just connects with a 3g network icon bottom right.

Connection manager now shows two entries for 3g, one for Option 3g modem and one for Option USB vendor specific interface

Only lingering doubt, which I am looking at today, is if the Vodaphone software is connecting through any Vodaphone number? I don't want any massive bills. I assume that if I get the Orange DNS settings this will be ok.

Any tips welcome

Thanks
    Chris.

ccurrah, Sep 22, 2008
  2. ccurrah

drewb

I've done same with the T-mobile uk usb card and all works ok. With t-mobile I can check my usage online and it shows that I'm connecting to the t-mobile network and not roaming via vodafone :D

drewb, Sep 22, 2008
  3. ccurrah

ccurrah

Thanks for that.

I have checked the DNS and it is using the Orange DNS servers, so from that I am assuming that it is going through Orange. Still doing a bit more investigation. I have 130 (yes one hundred and thirty!!) Aspire Ones to look after and have been given 130 Orange business 3g dongles to go with them. It will keep the technicians busy once I have figured out the optimum config. I am the systems manager at a college in the north of england, big project to do with home access for our year 7 pupils.

Did your software connect in as easy as mine seemed to? Didn't really ask for anything.

Chris.

ccurrah, Sep 22, 2008
Ask a Question