''ghost' user account i can't delete!

Discussion in 'Laptop General Discussion' started by westvanwendy, Feb 4, 2013.

1. westvanwendy

westvanwendy

I have an acer aspire one 11 inch netbook which had been a display model. When I started it up it had a user account called KIOSK, which I deleted (had to phone the store for the password), and created my own account as administrator.
    But the KIOSK account still shows up. The workaround is I have to click on switch user, then log on into my own account. but obviously I'd like to get rid of the KIOSK account!
    When I search my computer KIOSK shows up as a file folder. I've tried deleting it but the system tells me I do not have the authority to do so.
    Any ideas? I've tried shredding this file with my McAfee shredder, but it won't let me do that either.
    I don't want to reset my netbook to factory settings as I already have everythign set up, and all my files transferred from my previous laptop.
    HELP!!!

westvanwendy, Feb 4, 2013
  2. westvanwendy

Spetznia

Hi,
    are you happy to use the registry?? if not I wont bother you any further.
    or on bootup alt F10 the do a recovery this should solve the prob.

Spetznia, Sep 16, 2013
  3. westvanwendy

Selina66

Thank you.

Selina66, Dec 27, 2013
  4. westvanwendy

OhioTom76

You can possibly try these instructions:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/484451/windows-7-how-to-delete-the-kiosk-user/

But from what I have read elsewhere, that is often used on store display models. Where did you buy the computer from? Was it a floor model or perhaps did you buy it used off of someone else? I think Kiosk mode is something made by Microsoft for certain installations of Windows from what I've read so far...

OhioTom76, Feb 25, 2014
Ask a Question