Getting online with Zoom 3095 USB modem

Discussion in 'Linux' started by Mimosa41, Nov 23, 2008.

1. Mimosa41

Mimosa41

Occasionally I will be needing a dial-up modem on my AA1. Having read early posts that suggested that the Zoom 3095 USB modem ought to work with the AA1, I bought one a few weeks ago. I rapidly discovered that things ain't that simple (and other threads on this forum confirm this). However, I have now succeeded.

I am (or at least was) a Linux novice, and the following steps are all derived from posts on this or other Linux forums, plus a bit of trial and error of my own. There is no guarantee that this is the minimum set of steps that is necessary.

As usual, you need to run all the terminal commands as the super user, or prefix each one with sudo.

1. Install missing kernel module cdc-acm.ko

Follow steps 1 and 2 from http://wosten.blogspot.com/2008/08/usb-modemnokia-n95-with-acer-aspire-one.html.

2. Install the dgc modem driver

2a. Download a tar archive of the driver from linuxant.com. The CD that comes with the Zoom has an early version (1.01), but instead I downloaded version 1.08 from http://www.linuxant.com/drivers/dgc/archive/dgcmodem-1.08/dgcmodem-1.08.tar.gz.

2b. To build the driver, you will also need the source for the Linpus Lite kernel. Download from http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v2.6/linux-2.6.23.9.tar.bz2.

2c. Start a terminal window. Extract the driver source and the kernel source, and change the kernel source directory name to match the Linpus Lite kernel version.
    Code:
    cd /mnt/home/Downloads/
    tar -xzvf dgcmodem-1.08.tar.gz -C /usr/src
    tar xjvf linux-2.6.23.9.tar.bz2 -C /usr/src
    cd /usr/src
    mv linux-2.6.23.9 linux-2.6.23.9lw

2d. The dgc driver makefile assumes that the kernel source is rooted in a directory named "linux". Similarly, the configuration utility dgcconfig makes some assumptions about the location of kernel source. Create the appropriate symbolic links.
    Code:
    cd /usr/src
    ln -s linux-2.6.23.9lw linux 
    cd /lib/modules/2.6.23.9lw
    mv build build.old
    ln -s /usr/src/linux-2.6.23.9lw build
    mv source source.old
    ln -s /usr/src/linux-2.6.23.9lw source

2e. Build the dgc driver and utilities:
    Code:
    cd /usr/src/dgcmodem-1.08
    make install

If it has built correctly, the final line of output should look something like "To complete the installation and configuration of your modem, please run "dgcconfig" (or "/usr/sbin/dgcconfig")".

2f. Plug in the modem.

2g. From the terminal, run dgcconfig.
    Code:
    dgcconfig

This installs and configures the driver. You are asked to confirm that "/lib/modules/linux-2.6.23.9lw/build" is the location of the source build directory (this results from the 2nd symbolic link above); just click "enter" on the keyboard. If configuration works, the final line should look something like "The /dev/modem alias (symlink) points to ttyACM0".

3. Install and configure gnome-ppp
    Code:
    yum install gnome-ppp

Answer "y" to all questions.

Run gnome-ppp from the Xfce Desktop menu (it's under Network). Enter your Dial-Up ISP's phone number and your account name and password. Click on "Setup", click on "Detect". The "Modem" part of the pane should be populated automatically. You may need to change "Phone Line" from "Pulse" to "Tone". Click on "Close".

4. Click "Connect"...
    ...and you should get online.

Important notes:

1. When testing the modem connection, I have found that it is essential to disconnect the wireless LAN connection before attempting to connect using the modem, otherwise there appears to be a conflict between my Dial-Up ISP's Domain Name Server and my ADSL ISP's DNS that prevents web-site access via dial-up. (Disclaimer: other posters have also noted DNS issues with dial-up modems; my solution seems to work reliably, but this may be specific to my own pair of ISPs.)

2. Firefox 3 starts up offline when there is neither wireless nor ethernet connection, even if the AA1 is online via the modem; turn Firefox back online from the File menu and all should be well.

Mimosa41, Nov 23, 2008
  2. Mimosa41

steven.chien

Hi! Mimosa41, Thanks for your experiences, I am also a user of 56K dial up connection. I owned a Apple USB modem, which is by Motorola, I wonder if it will work, or I will buy a Zoom(I think products by Zoom will be better than Motorola...), But the only problem is I don't know where to buy it in Hong Kong!

steven.chien, Nov 24, 2008
  3. Mimosa41

Mimosa41

Hi Steven, I also have an Apple USB modem, but it isn't recognized either using cdc-acm by itself, or with the addition of the dgc driver. (On the other hand, the Zoom 3095 modem works just fine with my MacBook Pro -- it took 2 minutes to get it working, rather than several weeks!)

Mimosa41, Nov 24, 2008
  4. Mimosa41

steven.chien

Wow! that's too bad, I have considered about buying the zoom modem for both my Mac mini and AA1, but ... The problem is I don't know where to buy it in Hong Kong. I will contact the sale's team of Zoom later!

Over all, what do you think about the performance between Apple USB modem and Zoom 3095? also, do you know if the apple modem comes with the v.44 standard?

steven.chien, Nov 26, 2008
  5. Mimosa41

Mimosa41

I don't have a good feel for which is better; I only use a modem when traveling and there's no alternative, and then I'm usually just glad to have the connection! Also don't know whether the Apple USB modem has v.44 -- you could try the Apple discussions at http://discussions.apple.com/index.jspa.

You should be able to buy the Zoom modem on http://www.eBay.com and have it sent to Hong Kong, though shipping might be a bit expensive. Alternatively, others on this forum have had success with a US Robotics 5637 USB modem.

Mimosa41, Nov 26, 2008
  6. Mimosa41

umonster

This is awesome -- thank you. I'm going to give it a whirl.

umonster, Nov 29, 2008
  7. Mimosa41

umonster

I tried this, but got stuck at step 2e:

cd /usr/src/dgcmodem-1.08
    make install

I got this error:

bash: make: command not found

any ideas?

UPDATE: Ok, never mind; I needed to install the Make package

umonster, Dec 11, 2008
  8. Mimosa41

umonster

More problems:

Ok, this is what happened when I tried to do the dgcconfig:

WARNING: missing file /usr/src/linux-2.6.23.9lw/include/linux/autoconf.h
    The cause of this is usually a missing or unconfigured
    kernel source tree (and sometimes an incorrect directory or symbolic link).

First, ensure that the proper kernel source and compiler packages
    from your distribution vendor and/or the community are installed.

The Linux kernel can then be reconfigured by running "make menuconfig"
    under the kernel source directory (usually /usr/src/linux).

Verify that the proper options for your system are selected.

Then compile and install your new kernel (for more information about
    this procedure, see the README file under the kernel source directory),
    reboot the system using the new kernel, and re-run "dgcconfig".

I have a feeling something went wrong in step 2d, but I'm not sure.

Any ideas how to fix this?

umonster, Dec 12, 2008
  9. Mimosa41

Mimosa41

The autoconf.h file that you are missing is where it should be on my AA1. I think this results from steps 2b (download the tar archive of linux kernel) and 2c (expand the archive to /usr/src). So these would be the steps you should check first.

Mimosa41, Dec 13, 2008
  10. Mimosa41

umonster

Sadly, autoconf.h is nowhere to be found. I tried expanding the file again and everything seems to be right, except for the missing autoconf.h. Very strange. Unless there's a security risk for you, would you mind sending it to me or, if it's basically a text file, showing its contents here?

umonster, Dec 14, 2008
  11. Mimosa41

umonster

So pulled the autoconf.h file from the distribution, but I can't paste it in the directory -- it won't let me. Looks like it's a permissions issue. I've decided I hate linux.

umonster, Dec 15, 2008
  12. Mimosa41

Mimosa41

I'm sorry, I poked around a lot over a couple of weeks without really understanding what I was doing before I finally got the Zoom modem driver to build and work. It seems that I created autoconf.h by chance while doing something else. Having started again with a fresh copy of the Linux kernel source, I'm trying to recreate autoconf.h now, without success so far. But unlike your experience, I still seem to be able to run "make dgcconfig" even without having autoconf.h; I don't understand why our experiences are different. I will keep trying, and let you know if and when I make any progress.

Meanwhile, another post in a different thread today claims to have got the Zoom 3095 working: see http://www.aspireoneuser.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=4502&p=52989&hilit=zoom+3095+HOWTO#p52989

Mimosa41, Dec 15, 2008
  13. Mimosa41

Mimosa41

OK, autoconf.h is created if you actually make the kernel. See http://www.aspireoneuser.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=608 for instructions, though you don't have to do anything on a separate machine, it all works fine on the AA1. You will already have done steps (a) to (c). Continue with step (d), omit step (e) (i.e. don't edit .config), then run step (f) first two lines. The make command will take some time, but you should end up with a valid autoconf.h in the correct place.

Mimosa41, Dec 15, 2008
  14. Mimosa41

umonster

Hey thanks for your help in this: I appreciate it.

That seemed to have worked. Unfortunately, I must have cocked things up somewhere else, because I don't get the

"The /dev/modem alias (symlink) points to ttyACM0" at the end of the dgcconfig process, and gnome-ppp can't detect the modem.

I think what I'm going to do is try it again from the top.

umonster, Dec 16, 2008
  15. Mimosa41

jvinperu

Hi mimosa41, I have the same problem as umonster. I downloaded and extracted the kernel source again to see if it would help but the result is the same. The autoconf.h is nowhere to be found. Would appreciate any help you could give us in regards to this problem. Many thanks, Jason

jvinperu, Dec 23, 2008
  16. Mimosa41

jvinperu

Sorry, have just seen that more posts have been added prior to mine, will see what I can do. Sorry for jumping the gun.

jvinperu, Dec 23, 2008
  17. Mimosa41

geoffg

Hi Mimosa41,
    I have followed your procedure successfully up to step 2g., however to the "dgcconfig" operation gives an error;

"The kernel at /lib/modes/2.6.23.9lw/build was compiled without the following option enabled: CONFIG_USB_ACM
    This option is needed for the dgc driver. Please enable this kernel option, re-compile the kernel and try again."

I have used the later 1.09 version of the driver.
    I am new to linux and would appreciate some guidance on what to do next.

geoffg, Jan 15, 2009
  18. Mimosa41

Japser

You have put the module in place.
    You have not recompiled the kernel.
    So the configuration file still reflects the old situation without this module.
    I think you can trick this dgcconfig script by simply changing the configuration file, it is there only for reference.
    do:

ls -l /boot

in the output is one or more files with config...

do:

sudo mousepad config...

with the proper filename of course.

In that file change the line with "CONFIG_USB_ACM is not set" in "CONFIG_USB_ACM=m"

And see what happens.

--Japser.

Japser, Jan 15, 2009
  19. Mimosa41

geoffg

Hi Jasper,
    Thanks for the reply.
    I have tried your suggestion. I found two config.. files with "CONFIG_USB_ACM is not set" and changed them (despite warnings against editing the file). I then recompiled by repeating the procedure from step 2c. Unfortunately the result was exactly the same.
    Any ideas?

geoffg, Jan 16, 2009
  20. Mimosa41

Japser

Japser, Jan 17, 2009
Ask a Question