Get your terminals back

Discussion in 'Modding and Customization' started by esaym, Aug 17, 2008.

1. esaym

esaym

By commenting out these sections in xorg.conf:

Option "DontVTSwitch"
    Option "DontZap"

you will then be able to get to your terminals by pressing ctrl+alt+f2-f5

also the getty's are disabled, just uncomment these lines for all this to work in /etc/inittab:

# Run gettys in standard runlevels
    1:2345:respawn:/sbin/mingetty --autologin user tty1
    2:2345:respawn:/sbin/mingetty tty2
    3:2345:respawn:/sbin/mingetty tty3
    4:2345:respawn:/sbin/mingetty tty4
    5:2345:respawn:/sbin/mingetty tty5
    6:2345:respawn:/sbin/mingetty tty6

does anyone know why they disabled these to begin with? Man that would have saved me a 6 hour conquest the first time I messed with compiz and got a black screen on reboot!

esaym, Aug 17, 2008
  2. esaym

retsaw

They disabled these because this device is intended as a simple netbook for basic internet usage when you are out. The average intended user wouldn't have a clue what to do when dumped at a text console, so leaving them enabled would cause problems for more users than the few it inconveniences. To be honest, even as an advanced used, I don't have a need to use the console unless X isn't working and if I want to kill X a simple "sudo killall X" does the trick and dumps me to the single console they left enabled which is enough for me.

retsaw, Aug 17, 2008
  3. esaym

rockman

I'm REALLY puzzled by the way this distribution of the Aspire One reacts to these simple configurations. I activated the gettys and everything and now CTRL+ALT+Fx just brings black screen for a moment and then returns to the first, or better, all opened programs and everything return, so I guess the screen has remained the same.
    Plus, also ALT+Fx does the same thing, and that means I don't have the ability to summon a terminal. Or any command whatsoever. And that means... Back to recovery, for the third time... I'm getting really tired of Linpus, I'll know browse the forums in search of info about the best other distro tu use with this however beautiful machine.

rockman, Aug 24, 2008
Ask a Question