Get the linux version or wait for the XP version

Discussion in 'Which Laptop should I buy?' started by pospam, Jul 23, 2008.

1. pospam

pospam

Hi All:
    I would like to ask the people here at forum what would they do.
    Should I get the currently available Acer one with linux, or wait till mid-august and
    get the XP version?
    I will probably uninstall XP and install a linux distro.
    It is just that the extra memory and Hard drive space make me want to wait for it.
    SO, What would you do?
    Cheers
    P.

pospam, Jul 23, 2008
  2. pospam

SESummers

I've had the SSD/Linpus version for about a week. It's OK for what it is, but I think I should have waited. I'll be upgrading the RAM and adding XP to this one (since I have an unused upgrade license anyway), but in time and effort I'll be spending a lot more than the $20 difference in price.

SESummers, Jul 23, 2008
  3. pospam

ke35ch

I really want Acer Aspire One with WinXP badly but its not coming till late August. I could buy Linux version and install Windows but I don't have another copy of Windows. How do you guys get a copy of WinXP install on your Linux Acer Aspire One?

ke35ch, Jul 23, 2008
  4. pospam

lala

Id wait but i guess it all depends on the person i know im waitin for the windows xp version

lala, Jul 24, 2008
  5. pospam

rjm

The advantage of model 150 is the SATA 2.5" HDD... far more flexible both in terms of capacity and upgrade potential.

There is a 150L with Linux or a 150X with XP, though Im not sure if the 150L will be available in all countries. Sounds like you might want the 150L.

Then there is the 6 cell battery, the 3G module, the black one, .... if you don't mind waiting all sorts of good things are scheduled to come down the pipe in the next 2-3 months.

rjm, Jul 25, 2008
  6. pospam

Raskolnikov

where do you live? the xp version is essentially the same price as the linux version in the USA, you'll just have to wait a couple weeks.

I decided to order the xp version mainly because it will open up a ton of software and it's free HD space and RAM. Losing out on the SSD was kinda sad for me, but from what I'm reading it's not all that zippy anyhow. I'll just try not to drop my AA1.

On buy.com it's $385 shipped after the 5% off coupon. http://www.buy.com/retail/coupon.asp?prid=84773074
    I threw in the extra $6 bucks to get 2-day shipping once it comes in, though.

Apparently the whole delay for the 120gig version was due to some silly Microsoft restrictions on which hardware specs could use the sunsetting windows xp (ever wonder why the msi wind only has an 80gig HDD? cuz billy boy said that was the max). These restrictions have recently been relaxed, paving the way for the AA1 120gig version.

Raskolnikov, Jul 25, 2008
  7. pospam

jrs

I got the SSD version. It's quiet and fast! Linpus Lite (Fedora Core) runs well in 512MB. But I prefer still Ubuntu -- I'll probably switch to the Ubuntu Netbook Remix eventually.

jrs, Aug 2, 2008
  8. pospam

rjm

With both models now shipping the waiting part gets taken out of the equation. So, how many people still will opt for the SSD, especially when the price is nearly identical?

The Xp/120GB/1GB just seems like a no-brainer, and I'd love to know how Microsoft fixed things behind the scenes to make it so.

rjm, Aug 11, 2008
  9. pospam

milesg

I am going for the Linux / SSD version. For 2 reasons: (a) Robustness and (b) startup / shutdown speed. All I need is something for mail and browsing to slip into my bag when for when I am on the move, so it's a perfect fit.

milesg, Aug 11, 2008
  10. pospam

Beldar

My two cents: Windows sucks and SSD rocks.

Beldar, Aug 11, 2008
  11. pospam

Sid

SSD for me !

Sid, Aug 11, 2008
Ask a Question