German Keyboard layout / english language GUI

Discussion in 'Linux' started by topaz75, Aug 30, 2008.

1. topaz75

topaz75

thats what i want. I have a german Acer One, with a german keyboard layout, which i just managed to activate. I dont like the german language GUI, though, it looks weird, and has some translation issues too. So id like english for the text on the screen, but a german language keyboard layout, so i can use the special keys. is that possible? and how ?

topaz75, Aug 30, 2008
  2. topaz75

Stefan

I am not sure about the GUI, but you can change the keyboard layout by going to Settings -> Keyboard Layout. If you have a German GUI it's probably Einstellungen -> Tastatur. If you don't have anything under Settings/Einstellungen to change your keyboard layout you need to do a LiveUpdate first.
    I would think that you would have to do a recovery from the CD to install Linpus in English if you have German now, but I might be wrong. If you do then you can change the keyboard as mentioned above afterwards back to German.
    I have an English system including keyboard, but I have set my layout to German, as I am German and when typing blind I always hit the wrong keys otherwise...

Stefan

Stefan, Aug 30, 2008
  3. topaz75

Stefan

You can change your GUI language by activating the advanced desktop, then click right on your desktop, go to Settings, then Language. Choose the language you want the GUI to be in, wait for the Database to load, then restart your One.
    That's it. I just changed it to all to German and back to English... you are right, the German translation is rubbish.

Stefan

Stefan, Aug 30, 2008
  4. topaz75

Alex_76

Hi,
    I have the same problem... I want a portuguese keyboard layout but I whould like the menus to be in english.
    I went to Settings and then Idiomas (Languages in portuguese ;)) and it opened a window called "SCIM Input Method Setup"
    This was 3 sub-menus (FrontEnd, IMEngine and Panel). I've looked everywhere for it but can't find where to change it.
    Can you help me please?

Best regards,
    Alex

Alex_76, Sep 3, 2008
  5. topaz75

luizfermiranda

Same problem with the Portuguese layout here too.

Is not the same problem of Topaz.
    I have a English keyboard, but i want US-International (US with deadkeys) to use some portuguese words like "ç".

luizfermiranda, Sep 3, 2008
  6. topaz75

biboklaus

go to "/usr/share/oobe/oobe.log" and delete the oobe.log file. after reeboot you can choose language again. then set the keyboard to german. that's all.

greetz klaus

biboklaus, Sep 4, 2008
  7. topaz75

Raido

Yep, Biboklaus is right - this worked for me too. Have to reconfigure some apps, but this is the easiest way too go, probably.

Raido, Sep 4, 2008
  8. topaz75

Alex_76

:D :D
    Worked! Thankx. ;)
    Alex

Alex_76, Sep 6, 2008
Ask a Question