Gaming on the Acer Aspire one: Youtube Series

Discussion in 'Windows' started by paulm, Dec 23, 2008.

1. paulm

paulm

Hello fellow Acer Aspire one users!

I've been producing a series of youtube videos documenting the acer aspire one's gaming capabilities; the particular model is the linux harddrive version wth 512 mb of RAM.

Here is a Link to the series on my Youtube channel: http://ca.youtube.com/profile_video_blog?user=gonepishing

Games are given a rating based on gameplay experience, framerates, and overall playability:
    -Thumbs up = the game is playable and has a decent framerate
    -Thumbs halfway = the game is mostly playable and has a mediocre framerate
    -Thumbs down = the game is not playable and has a low framerate

The video series is now into its 3rd isntallment with more videos on the way!

Games given the thumbs up rating are as follows:
    -GTA III
    -Halo
    -Duke Nukem 3d
    -Peggle
    -Total Annihilation
    -Project 64 emulated games
    -Half life 1
    -No one lives forever 2
    -Quake 3 arena
    -Serious Sam the second encounter
    -GTA2

Games given the thumbs halfway rating are:
    -CS:S

Games given the thumbs down rating are:
    -Doom III

paulm, Dec 23, 2008
  2. paulm

hillsoft

So this is the 512MB Linux model with XP Pro on it for all these games?

When I saw you mention Linux in your post I was hoping the videos would show the games running under Wine.

Regardless, nice videos and thanks for putting them online. Always nice to see games running on the AA1 !

hillsoft, Dec 23, 2008
  3. paulm

paulm

yup; it is the 512 mb linux version with Xp professional installed. I wasn't very fond of the linux distro that came with the unit so I installed XP pro. The distro had some serious flaws with wifi connectivity, not to mention the incompatibility issueswith all my windows work and games. From my time spent in the eeeuser forums i can tell that the only way of playing the more resource intensive games successfully is though the real windows, not an emulation in Wine.

Like the libretto 110CT video i made, i made this series due to the lack of acer aspire gaming videos on the net.

hopefully it will help some people into making the right decision and buying an aspire one!

paulm, Dec 24, 2008
  4. paulm

Kei

Great effort so far my suggestion is you upgrade to at the least 1gb of ram and go for 1.5gb so you can make sure your getting the best performance because most users are going to be on 1gb to 2gb just saying anyways keep it up my netbook arrives in a few hours AHHHHHHim excited

Kei, Dec 24, 2008
  5. paulm

paulm

I have 1 gig ready to go; going to be installing shortly.

I didn't know you could upgrade to 2 gigs (BIOS restriction?). I suppose you would need to buy the 1 gb windows version, which was $100 more at the time I bought.

got a good deal btw ($341!) @ http://www.canadacomputers.com if anybody is ever interested in buying

paulm, Dec 24, 2008
  6. paulm

Kei

I meant 2 gigs as alot of netbook users are going to watch your videos if its universal i have a wind i can up to 2gbs not much above 1.5 so the performance would be about the same right (better considering the OC) but anyways your hardware is the same as the wind samsung advent you know the list goes on so if the game runs on yours it runs on those right? exactly so having the most amount of ram is going to get the best results from the game so the watcher wether he has a wind advent akoya samsung lenovo or w/e can get results on what will run on there system to

Kei, Dec 26, 2008
Ask a Question