Future 3G Card/Modem

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by speedcam, Jul 6, 2008.

1. speedcam

speedcam

I didn't release that the one will include 3G functionallity later in the year, something I'd be interested in adding this myself. Very early days yet, but spare details and how to guide would be great discusion.

speedcam, Jul 6, 2008
  2. speedcam

lotus49

No-one has actually done this yet, but there is a mini pci slot and a SIM card reader so it looks like all you will have to do is buy a mini pci hsdpa modem and plug it into the slot and then plug your SIM into the SIM reader.

I intend to do this as well so I shall have a look around the net to see where one can get mini pci hsdpa modems from. If I find anything interesting I shall report back.

Edit: I have had a look and disappointingly, these cards are very expensive. The cheapest I have found so far is 125 quid. It is looking like a USB HSDPA modem might be a better bet (particularly as I already have one).

lotus49, Jul 6, 2008
  3. speedcam

ccurrah

Anyone had a go at installing an Orange 3g usb modem. Got one that I use on my xp laptop. Any hints as to how to get this running, drivers and scipts?

Any hints at all

Thanks

ccurrah, Jul 18, 2008
  4. speedcam

lotus49

Any hints at all as to what it is? It's going to be a little hard to help unless you give us a clue as to the make and model.

lotus49, Jul 18, 2008
  5. speedcam

ccurrah

Sorry, Globetrotter HSxPA usb modem as shown in hardware on my xp laptop. Assuming I will also have to come up with my own script for connecting to Orange as they only support Mac and Win versions.

Any pointers no matter how vague would be appreciated.

Thanks.

ccurrah, Jul 19, 2008
Ask a Question