Further Heatsink Mod, Increase Air Flow!!!

Discussion in 'Modding and Customization' started by bertfelin, Nov 6, 2008.

1. bertfelin

bertfelin

first i put a heatsink took from my old mother board's northbrigde size 30mmx30mmx5mm and put it into the One's Factory Heatsink.
    second i made a cover for the factory heatsink and cover it up. so more air will be suck through the vent under the machine and blow through the northbridge.
    on this platform the mainly heat was casue by the northbridge instead of CPU, so this mod can made more fresh air go through the fan and the heatsink the blow it out instead of sucking the hot air back from the heatsink to the fan then to the heatshink.

After this mod, i can feel more hot air coming out from the vent and the life side of this little machine, and i've running everest system stability for stess cpu, cache, fpu and memory for over hours, temperature remain highest @ 65C.
    more important is, the fan keeps running in slow mode due to the reduction on temperature, therefore, reduced the noise.

bertfelin, Nov 6, 2008
  2. bertfelin

bertfelin

the air flow after the mod.

bertfelin, Nov 6, 2008
  3. bertfelin

lordofazeroth

what was the temperature decrease?

lordofazeroth, Nov 10, 2008
  4. bertfelin

bertfelin

as i mentioned before "i've running everest system stability for stess cpu, fpu, cache and memory for over hours, temperature remain highest @ 65C."
    before the mod temperature can reach as high as 85C in hour.

and more importantly, i never hear the fan runs on high speed mode after the mod, which gave me a silence machine now. :D

bertfelin, Nov 10, 2008
  5. bertfelin

lordofazeroth

from 85 to 65C only with this mod or including the heatsinkmod?

lordofazeroth, Nov 11, 2008
  6. bertfelin

bertfelin

yup

bertfelin, Nov 11, 2008
  7. bertfelin

55ting55

As I know, the foam that cover the edge of the stock heatsink will seal with the bottom of the plastic casing of the AA1. So that already make an air duct, and I don't think the fan gonna suck the hot air back in.

bertfelin, Could you please test your AA1 with northbridge heatsink but not the greentea cover. compared with both northbridge heatsink and greentea cover?

Thanks.

55ting55, Nov 11, 2008
  8. bertfelin

bertfelin

without the "Green tea Cover" as i mentioned before temperature can reach as high as 85C with the northbridge heatsink mod if i stress the CPU, FPU etc. at 100% after 1 hour, but with the "Green tea Cover" the temperature never excessed 65C. and i don't think that tiny piece of foam seal will do a good job on isolate the Hot Air. at least, in my case.

bertfelin, Nov 11, 2008
  9. bertfelin

lordofazeroth

fan settings on Auto?
    which BIOS version?

lordofazeroth, Nov 11, 2008
  10. bertfelin

bertfelin

i did not use any these fan control software.
    bios version v 3.305

bertfelin, Nov 11, 2008
  11. bertfelin

chr0nos

what material is that "green tea cover"?
    cardboard?

chr0nos, Nov 12, 2008
  12. bertfelin

lordofazeroth

it's a can, aluminium

lordofazeroth, Nov 12, 2008
  13. bertfelin

55ting55

Thanks bertfelin, I will try it with my AA1.

55ting55, Nov 13, 2008
  14. bertfelin

ChrisM

I did this modification after adding the heatsink and the fan control. I will attest that it does increase airflow. The air channel in it's stock form doesn't seal to the bottom of the case very well and this mod seems to force more air through the fan channel and out of the case. The heatsink seems to disrupt the smoothness of the airflow out of the case. This seems to help a great deal.

When my fan does come on now, it runs for a much shorter time. The whole bottom of the laptop also seems much cooler to the touch than it did before adding the extra ducting. I used a pop can and duct tape.

Thanks for the idea!

ChrisM, Nov 13, 2008
  15. bertfelin

bertfelin

my aao just starting the annoying noise again, i took out the fan and pull out the fan blade and dip a drop of engine oil into the hole where holds the shaft wow back to nearly silence now :D

bertfelin, Dec 19, 2008
  16. bertfelin

ryoo818

I suggested something like this a few months ago. Glad to hear it works! I've been using fan control software, so it hasn't been a big issue, but it's still really loud when it does turn on. I have a bottle of oil with a needle applicator that I used for rc cars that would work nicely for this.

ryoo818, Dec 19, 2008
  17. bertfelin

Growler

For some reason I can't see the attached pics in your original post! Is there some way to repost the pics of your heatsink mod? I'm especially interested in your "Green tea Cover". Thanks!!

Growler, Jan 19, 2009
  18. bertfelin

Gom33

^^^ I couldn't agree more, will be receiving my 1 on Thursday and would like to do this as well...

Gom33, Jan 27, 2009
  19. bertfelin

Guest Guest

where have the oringal pics gone?

:(

Guest, Jan 28, 2009
  20. bertfelin

stevegasm

I'm definitely considering doing some sort of cooling mod like this. Just having the bottom blocked off from fresh air bugs me, so I know I'll be getting the Dremel out soon. I think just having that fresh air coming in would cool it down quite a bit.

stevegasm, Jan 28, 2009
Ask a Question