Full software list?

Discussion in 'Linux' started by Solidus, Jul 30, 2008.

1. Solidus

Solidus

Is there a list anywhere of all the packages that are already installed on the One? For example, which text editors are installed (nano? gedit? kate?)?

And as an aside - can you install vanilla Fedora rpms on the One, or just those from dedicated repos? For example, I rather like LyX and TeX, and wondered whether they were easily installable on the One.

Solidus, Jul 30, 2008
  2. Solidus

Sid

Well sort of, assuming you have the advanced desktop enabled.
    You can see what is installed by:
    Right click the desktop, select system, add/remove software, then enter your password.
    The package manager will open.
    Use the list tab and select installed packages.

Sid, Jul 30, 2008
  3. Solidus

Solidus

Sorry, I wasn't clear. I don't have an Aspire One yet (I have an original Eee) and was thinking about getting one. But software is obviously a major part of the experience, so I was hoping to find out what was installed and what was available. In particular, can the One use standard FC rpms or do you have to use specific versions?

Solidus, Jul 31, 2008
  4. Solidus

Felinux

You can install all standard software from FC repository....so, all software you need!

Felinux, Jul 31, 2008
  5. Solidus

janss

Well, I don't think anyone will be posting a full list of software for you...

The basic config has everything you need for web, IM, email, office and such things netbooks are meant for. You can install more software to the machine, and atleast skype installed flawlessly from Fedora rpm, but some users have reported problems with some other packages.

janss, Jul 31, 2008
  6. Solidus

Solidus

Thanks all. If standard FC rpms work (usually, at least!) then that tells me pretty much what I wanted to know. :)

Solidus, Jul 31, 2008
  7. Solidus

stick

ive enabled my advanced desktop, but im having problems downloading and installing aMSN

anybody done it already?

also i was wondering if i download wine, does that mean i can run windows programs like the real version of msn messenger? or have i misunderstood the purpose of wine? sorry im a bit blonde with computers and this is my first linux

thanks

stick, Jul 31, 2008
  8. Solidus

adamj

I've noted the postings above regarding Fedora RPMs from standard repositories 'should' work, which sounds good. However, some postings in other threads indicate some problems/incompatibilities with the standard setup and libraries that Acer ship. It seems that the distribution is still being worked on/not quite ready for the masses and I worry whether the Linpus OS is going to have the support and success that the Xandros OS has achieved on the Eee PC.

However, I don't have particularly demanding needs. Does the machine have perl and ruby installed on the command line (the Eee PC has both)? I want to be able to run ruby + rails and a decent text editor for web development, and be able to update Firefox as and when new versions are released.

So my question is, if I get an Aspire One am I going to be OK and be able to get on with my work relatively easily, or will I be fiddling with the OS, installing Ubuntu etc?

adamj, Jul 31, 2008
  9. Solidus

ThinkAboutIt

aMSN works fine here. No problems with downloading or installing.

ThinkAboutIt, Aug 2, 2008
  10. Solidus

shihan

a program worth installing for managing software IMHO is yumex.

I find it a more useful package manager then the original fedora manager.

Just hit alt-f2 and type "yum install yumex" (click run in terminal). Then when its complete hit alt-f2 again and type "yumex".

shihan, Aug 3, 2008
  11. Solidus

stick

i had aMSN working for all of like 3 days and now suddenly its not working it says it cannot connect to the server, my msn works on a windows notebook so its not the msn account or msn being down its the aMSN not functioning properly. ive read somewhere its going to do that for a while because its up to something posh to do with things i will never understand, but in the meantime, is there another im service i can use instead?

stick, Aug 5, 2008
  12. Solidus

N6546R

It depends on whether or not you like to muck around with Linux. You'll want to enable the 'standard' xfce desktop and load your development environment. Beyond that you don't really need to do much, unless you like doing that sort of thing. I spent a couple of days installing, uninstalling, and configuring the AA1...including two or three rebuilds of the SSDD as I played with different operating systems (I ended up going back to Acer Linpus)...but now I just do work. Once in a while I'll remember some package that I like to use and will install it. I tend to build a stable set of base software and apps that does what I need and then I nearly never update any of it unless there's a new feature in a package or the kernel that I *absolutely* have to have, and that's pretty rare.

Ten years ago I could spend all day tweaking a kernel build, but these days I just want to be productive.

Perry
    www.kidpub.com

N6546R, Sep 9, 2008
  13. Solidus

Grim Squeaker

While I have not installed LyX, the tetex latex distro works perfectly on the One :)

Grim Squeaker, Sep 11, 2008
  14. Solidus

Albertde

I have kept the standard desktop (only installed skype there) and activated the advanced desktop (via right-click). In general, I have found that you can install almost anything as long as the software package you want to install doesn't have a dependency on an alternate desktop (meaning KDE or GNOME or a feature of Xfce conflicting with Linpus Lite). I have installed packages via yum and rpm on the terminal and the Add/Remove Software Menu and from downloaded rpm packages and other binary and source packages from sourceforge and other websites. If you think in terms of a type of software with features you want rather than a particular package, you should be able to find a software package that serves your need.

Albertde, Sep 14, 2008
Ask a Question