Freezing when Hibernating

Discussion in 'Windows' started by kevstv, Sep 6, 2008.

1. kevstv

kevstv

Hi

Firstly I'd like to say what great site this is, I've gained so much info from browsing the site.

I have the 110 model with NLited XP loaded and up until yesterday has been running briliantly (Mostly thanks to a lot of posts on this forum) However, since yesterday my AA1 seems to have developed a quirky fault. Whenever I go into hibernation, Windows just freezes at the "Preparing for Hibernation" screen and I have to hold the power button down to get it to turn off.

Anyone else had/have this problem or got any ideas? I must say I haven't investigated this properly yet but thought I'd see if any of you knowledgable guys out there had any ideas or fix already.

Thanks in advance

Kev

kevstv, Sep 6, 2008
  2. kevstv

PrincessNybor

Hibernation writes the entire contents of your RAM to the primary disk. Considering the magnificently slow speed of the included SSD on the A110, it could take quite some time to fully hibernate. If you were low on disk space, it might not even be able to finish hibernating.

How much RAM do you have installed? Do you have your page file enabled?

Sleep mode is probably a better option. I briefly had XP installed on my A110 (before I sold it, and bought the A150), but I never even tried hibernation. Sleep was quick, and consumed little power. After a full day in sleep, I still had about 80% of my battery remaining.

PrincessNybor, Sep 7, 2008
  3. kevstv

kevstv

I understand how Hibernation works, I have 512mb memory, has been hibernating fine for over 2 weeks, nothing has changed. I don't think it's the SSD as the light is not constantly on, the light flickers a few times then goes out and windows is frozen.

kevstv, Sep 8, 2008
  4. kevstv

lolknight

I am getting the same problem on Vista on my A150... it hibernates sometimes, but sometimes it would hang with a blank screen (hibernating screen on XP), and the fan would keep going. I didn't notice the first time, only to find out 3 hours later, having burned half the battery and the AAO being pretty warm. Anyone else getting this issue?

lolknight, Sep 12, 2008
  5. kevstv

ElCapitan

Experiencing the same issue on mine with xp 120GB.
    Any fixes?

ElCapitan, Sep 15, 2008
  6. kevstv

Mopeto

I think that is random, it happen some times, like, when you do some work for quite long time and well, some program dont want to keep inactive or such.
    Try a fresh boot, hibernating, see. If doesnt work, quit some startup application and/or services.

Mopeto, Oct 5, 2008
  7. kevstv

kevstv

I can assure you this is not random, it was happening to my AA1 constantly until this evening when I found the fix after much searching of the net.

Below is the fix I applied which has fixed my problem which is caused by "Selective Suspend Mode" on USB controllers:

To disable this for all USB controllers,(Please be aware this could affect your battery life) make the following Registry addition:
    - goto HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services
    - create a new subkey called USB
    - from this new subkey, create a new DWORD value called 'DisableSelectiveSuspend'
    - set its value data to 1 (=true)
    - to re-enable power suspension, change the value to 0 (=false)

Hope this helps you guys because I know how annoying this has been for me.

Kev

kevstv, Oct 7, 2008
  8. kevstv

kinggreene

I have to say i am new to this Board but you ARE "THE man....." this fixed my hibernation problem, i tried the webcam thing first but that didn't work, then i tried this registry entry and it worked.i removed it and tried again to see if it really worked and the answer is yes it does fix it...Woo Hoo. :)
    colin.

kinggreene, Feb 13, 2009
  9. kevstv

wjose77

two questions (sorry if I anoy you as I'm a new user as well and not a very patient one)

1. what do you mean when that can affect your battery life?
    2. if you disbale de USB controllers does that mean that you can connect any usb devices?

Thanks in advance

wjose77, Feb 27, 2009
  10. kevstv

nanSpire

Hi there life savers!!

At first (and like every one else) I have to say this is a great site and thank you all for the valuble info.

I really need ur help this time. My Acer 150 windows is right infront of me with a total black / blank screen, fan on, green light on and completely un-responsive "Freezed", and I've tried everything possible e.g. holding down the power button and starting off again (4 times), leaving it for a while to rest, unplugging the power cable (!) but its still the same thing.

Please HELP (SOS) if you know anything. Ofcourse I have to note that I'm using the "hibernate-when closing the lid" option and I used the netbook for some time this morining, and this is the first time this so-called Freez happens. I've had the net book since last August.

Waiting for ur help and thanks in advance

nan

nanSpire, Mar 1, 2009
Ask a Question