free up some disk space

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by sandkon, Apr 2, 2009.

1. sandkon

sandkon

I have AA1 110 with 16gb hard disk but after doing some updates etc and package installations I'm suddenly down to 8gb. How can I delete files that I downloaded (packages) which were not installed due to dependcy issues and how can I get some disk space back. I have only installed skype, VLC and Vodafone Connection programme? Is there a Yum command for removing broken packages ( I seem to remember reading that the Ubuntu system had a way of finding broken, orphaned packages and deleting them).

sandkon, Apr 2, 2009
  2. sandkon

Darryl

Code:
    sudo yum clean all
    ;)

Darryl, Apr 2, 2009
  3. sandkon

tpcug

Also worth checking manually for downloaded packages.

look in /var/cache/yum/fedora (/livna) (/updates) then the packages folder in each. I moved/backed-up a load of rpm's rather than deleting.

Also and oldish article on the macles* blog - easy to miss it these days.

http://macles.blogspot.com/2008/07/recl ... spire.html

cleared about half a GB on my machine, not-a-lot but worth having.

Be careful when using utilities for detecting and removing orphan packages, not the AA1 but another machine, managed to break the installation.

edit: just had a look in the repos and the app that comes up is kleansweep, thats the one that killed my OS. Also a quick search turned up this;
    http://www.annexia.org/tmp/rpmorphan-1.4-2.src.rpm
    untried by me - supposed to list ophaned packages.

tpcug, Apr 3, 2009
  4. sandkon

ronime

After you have cleared out your orphaned packages consider upgrading to 1.5GB RAM, if you have not already done so. You can then do away with the swap partition and reclaim another 1GB.

ronime, Apr 3, 2009
Ask a Question