Free anti-virus

Discussion in 'Laptop General Discussion' started by Corzhens, Aug 16, 2016.

1. Corzhens

Corzhens

Can you recommend a free anti-virus aside from AVG and Avast? Right now our home desktop is using AVG but there are issues like the computer had markedly slowed down and the booting takes eons. With Avast, it's not very slow but there are software that would run properly. Our desktop used to be fast when it had the Symantec anti-virus. However, the license expired in 2015 so we resorted to a free downloadable anti-virus.

Corzhens, Aug 16, 2016
  2. Corzhens

Elektron

When it comes to free antivirus I highly recommend the best ones which are Avira Free Antivirus and Avast Free Antivirus, I've used both of them for more than five years and the experience has been amazing, I'm currently using Avira and I have never had any kind of virus issue since I installed that anti-virus, I highly recommend them to anybody who is looking to have a clean and clear PC, try them out.

Elektron, Aug 16, 2016
  3. Corzhens

Fuzyon

I use Avast and I don't have a problem with it, but my second option would be Malwarebytes. A lot of antiviruses like Norton or Bitdefender have became sluggish and they barely do anything, but Malwarebytes has been pretty good lately and it's free. I'd give it a shot!

Fuzyon, Aug 18, 2016
  4. Corzhens

acerme2

Thanks for this tip, @Elektron. My Windows OS came with McAfee Anti-virus but it had expired after a year. I've gotten used to AVG Free Edition that I also installed it while McAfee was running. I think AVG is good, but it's annoying. An AVG interface would always appear on my screen asking me to restart my computer for changes/updates to take effect.This happens everyday while I'm working on something and I always have to pause only to click on postpone and the number of hours before they will put up the reminder again. It's crazy, where are they anyway when I'm shutting down or restarting the laptop voluntarily. Why can't they just do the update then?

acerme2, Aug 18, 2016
  5. Corzhens

Corzhens

Our annoyance with AVG is the auto update it is doing every time we boot. So if we boot 3 times in a day, it updates 3 times and that is stupid because that is a needless update. Worse, the updating eats a lot of memory that the computer slows down because of that needless updating going on for some minutes. The auto update is really auto even if the setting is manual update. That's the reason why we are looking for another anti-virus that is free.

Thanks for the suggestion, @Fuzyon and @Elektron. I have noted Malware and Avira.

Corzhens, Aug 18, 2016
  6. Corzhens

Elektron

I personally think that you can actually modify the settings to prevent that from happening ever again, you just have to disable the "Scan when Windows starts" option, however, if you just want to get rid of that anti-virus then you definitely should get Avira, you will never regret it, it works fine and you will never see any kind of annoying thing whilst using it, try it out, good luck.

Elektron, Aug 21, 2016
Ask a Question