Format and Mount SDHC in Storage Expansion

Discussion in 'Linux' started by ndirons, Jan 18, 2009.

1. ndirons

ndirons

I put my new adata SDHC 8GB Class6 in the Storage Expansion slot but it is not recognised by the file manager.

How do I get it to start working? (Does it need formatting, mounting etc? Some posts imply that this is all automatic.)

Tried to format in a Samsung L730 Camera but the camera won't format the card.

(Didn't have any luck here: viewtopic.php?f=58&t=4252&start=10#p64109)

ndirons, Jan 18, 2009
  2. ndirons

ikajaste

You could try clearing the disk of any formatting (by using some kind of disk management tool on another computer), and then plugging it in. Simply formatting it probably won't change anything, since formatting probably creates a different file system on the card than what AA1 wants. You are correct in that the storage expansion should be automatic, although it could take some tens of seconds to happen. File manager should at least detect the card, though.

There was also a similar problem on another thread: "Problem with Storage Expansion"

ikajaste, Jan 18, 2009
  3. ndirons

ndirons

It seems there isn't any software to format a SDHC card under linpus?

ndirons, Jan 18, 2009
  4. ndirons

daldred

You should be able to format it using the terminal, but I'm a little concerned when you say it won't format in a camera - are you sure the card is OK?

If you want to give it a go on the One, the first thing is to find out how the system is seeing the card. Plug it in, then in a terminal do
    Code:
    df
    This lists the free space available on any devices attached - you will get an entry for /dev/sda1 (your main disk in the One), a couple of lines showing no filesystem (/dev/shm and /mnt/home), and should get another line for the card you've plugged in.

Look at the fielsystem name for this card - say it's /dev/sdb1. Then the device is /dev/sdb, and that's what you want to format. We'll make a FAT32 filesystem:
    Code:
    sudo mkdosfs -F 32 /dev/sdb
    Does that help?

daldred, Jan 19, 2009
  5. ndirons

ndirons

Had a HAL problem so had to recover from DVD.

[I would have liked to use the latest recovery but couldn't work out how to ...
    viewtopic.php?f=29&t=7638#p65983 ]

I did a df, inserted the card and did df again. Same list both times. Looks like card is DOA so I will return it.

Appreciate your assistance. Now just need to reinstall all of the software, update and reconfigure etc ...

ndirons, Jan 23, 2009
Ask a Question