force higher screen resolution? (Vista)

Discussion in 'Modding and Customization' started by wongnog, Jan 22, 2009.

1. wongnog

wongnog

Is there a way to force a higher screen resolution than 1024x600 under Vista? I'm trying to install a camera software from my Canon digicam and I get an error message "the screen resolution to execute Digital Camera Solution Disk is not sufficient." I think the program requires 1024x768 as a minimum. Even if there is a way to "trick" it into thinking I have a higher screen resolution just so I can install the program, does anyone know if such a thing exists?

wongnog, Jan 22, 2009
  2. wongnog

Ultrabog

had a similar problem when using vistabootpro, at 1024x600 the apply button was missing completely so connected thr AA1 to an old 15in monitor and after some fiddling about managed to "find" the apply button.

Ultrabog, Feb 1, 2009
  3. wongnog

bobitza

Another workaround could be screen rotation. If you go screen properties there's an option to rotate the screen. Select 90 degrees ... voila! you now have a 1000 pixels height, enough to reach any Ok/Cancel buttons.

When you're done, rotate screen back.

PS. Handling the mouse movements from the touchpad will be tricky for the first couple of times you're doing this, but hey, no pain no gain! :)

bobitza, Feb 5, 2009
  4. wongnog

mentalbob

This worked for me: Right click on your desktop and choose Personalize. From there choose Display Settings. Once you see the Display Settings control panel, click on the Advanced Settings... button on the bottom right of the window. When the adapter control panel comes up, select the Monitor tab. You'll see a Monitor Settings box with a Screen refresh rate drop down. Uncheck the "Hide modes that this monitor cannot display" box and hit the OK button. You should be able to select any resolution you want in the Display Settings dialog now.

mentalbob, Feb 24, 2009
  5. wongnog

wongnog

Great idea, I'll try that right away! How does the display look when you chose a non-standard resolution? Is it illegible or does everything still display as 1024x600?

wongnog, Feb 24, 2009
  6. wongnog

mentalbob

Basically you get a 1024x600 window onto a larger virtual screen. When u move the mouse around, the screen scrolls.

mentalbob, Feb 24, 2009
  7. wongnog

wongnog

Hmm finally got around to trying this, but the "Hide modes that this monitor cannot display" checkbox is greyed out, and my screen refresh rate is forced to 60 Hz. Could it be because my monitor type is Generic PnP Monitor? I wonder if it is also because I have TinyVista installed.

wongnog, Mar 4, 2009
  8. wongnog

chemigame

thank u so much mental bob

chemigame, Mar 21, 2009
  9. wongnog

jamesgott

wow this is a great thread. this is why i joined the forum. thanks for all the help. what a great solution!

jamesgott, Mar 21, 2009
  10. wongnog

wongnog

Still can't get this to work on my install (see above post) -- what graphics driver version do you guys have installed?

wongnog, Mar 21, 2009
  11. wongnog

cotton509

i know wut to do set a xsternal display as the main display disasble the internal one throiught sotware and try again i did that to instal ae 3

cotton509, Apr 6, 2009
  12. wongnog

wongnog

Good suggestion, I was just trying the other day to hook up my AA1 to my HDTV so I know this is a viable option. Only thing was no matter what resolution I picked, the display had black bars on all 4 sides -- I wonder if this has more to do with my actual TV though. I know this is getting a bit off topic, but I can't transmit 5.1 dolby digital audio from the AA1's audio out jacks, can I?

wongnog, Apr 6, 2009
Ask a Question