For you frustrated 6cell-160Gig folks...

Discussion in 'Which Laptop should I buy?' started by pslamp32, Sep 24, 2008.

1. pslamp32

pslamp32

Hopefully this is appropriate but I thought I'd pass along a great deal on an alternative. I too have been frustrated waiting for Amazon. I decided to go with the Asus EEPC1000. Similar specs (160HD, 1gig ram) with slightly larger screen but built-in bluetooth (important imo). Also is supposedly easy to add ram. I got a great deal at ZipZoomFly. Only $449 with free shipping. https://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductD ... e=10009302 . Again sorry if this is inappropriate at this forum. I just noticed the mounting frustration and thought I'd pass this along.

pslamp32, Sep 24, 2008
  2. pslamp32

lossfizzle

I nearly pulled the trigger on the 1000H a couple weeks ago when it first started hitting $450. The dealbreaker for me is the larger size (too large to be considered a netbook, IMHO) and the inferior keyboard (no dedicated PgUp / PgDn keys, shrunken right shift key).

Anyway, I agree that at the new lower price the 1000H is the best alternative to the AA1 6-cell, specs-wise, right now. But you might want to change the subject line on this post, since the same frustration you're helpfully trying to ease might backfire on you when folks come in thinking you've got the magic bullet in the form of an actual retailer with stock. :)

lossfizzle, Sep 24, 2008
  3. pslamp32

penandpaper

i am/was very close to pulling the trigger on the asus 1000h. the price went from $479 to $449. i suspect the asus 1000h will go lower once the pressure from acer is releaved and inventory starts appearing.

penandpaper, Sep 25, 2008
  4. pslamp32

pslamp32

I was concerned about this as well but the specs make it seem fairly negligable size-wise and only about a half pound more in weight which is somewhat mitigated by the slim charger.

pslamp32, Sep 25, 2008
  5. pslamp32

lossfizzle

Sure, 3 pounds is not bad at all-- I have a four-pound Fujitsu (S6240) which is very portable and a great size. I just love the fact that you can surf laying in bed with the Acer holding it aloft in one hand - I think 2.5, 2.6 pounds might be the cutoff for that. :)

Anyway, the keyboard issue was more important: I need discrete-key / one-handed PgUp / PgDn and I can never seem to get used to a laptop keyboard that doesn't have it. Nobody's presently prepared to offer that on a netbook keyboard except Acer and, possibly, Samsung.

lossfizzle, Sep 25, 2008
  6. pslamp32

adriana

Call me disillusioned

I am fuming over yet another delay on my Acer order from PC connections and might just take you up on your suggestions. Weight is very, very important to me, however.

adriana, Sep 30, 2008
  7. pslamp32

adriana

CDW has shipped my Aspire One today! Joy, Joy!

adriana, Oct 1, 2008
  8. pslamp32

Oberkanone

Not having the shift key in the correct in correct place is flaw I could not overlook on the Asus. And re-mapping the keyboard was not an acceptable solution.

HP 2133 Mini-note with 120 GB HD, 1GB Ram, Suse Linux, 3 cell battery and final price of $299 plus tax and shipping almost swayed me as it has an excellent keyboard and the Via processor would be fine for my use. And the price is great.

I'm happy with my Black One even if I did have to pay shipping and tax in order to get it quicker, and now 6 cell - 160gb are showing up at many etailers.

Oberkanone, Oct 1, 2008
  9. pslamp32

fbx

I ordered one of these (1000H) a while back and then returned it almost immediately. It's as big as some small laptops (or seems close) and seems to have little to offer. Wait and get the AAO.

fbx, Dec 10, 2008
  10. pslamp32

Oberkanone

keyboard is wrong on the Asus and right on the Acer

Oberkanone, Dec 11, 2008
  11. pslamp32

naeemsta

yep
    also i go to forums alot real alot
    so the pgup and pgdwn keys are really necessary for me ! :D i dont know what to do without them.

naeemsta, Jan 4, 2009
Ask a Question