For classic games (ScummVM and Dosbox)

Discussion in 'Linux' started by BlackLagoon, Jul 25, 2008.

1. BlackLagoon

BlackLagoon

For those of you who want to play some classic games, getting ScummVM and Dosbox on the Aspire One is easy as pie (though go activate the advanced menu first if you haven't done so already).

ScummVM (plays classic 2d point and click adventure games like Monkey Island 1-3)

Open a terminal. Enter:

Code:
    sudo yum install scummvm
    You can now find it in the games section of the advanced menu. You will of course need to get the games yourself. A list of compatible ones can be found here.

Dosbox (plays old DOS games)

Open a terminal. Enter:

Code:
    sudo yum install dosbox
    Complicated, isn't it ;). Oddly, it places in the System section of the advanced menu. You will, as with ScummVM, have to get the games in yourself, also beware that some of the later DOS games may be too demanding for the One to run properly, though there are a few tricks you can do to speed things up.

BlackLagoon, Jul 25, 2008
  2. BlackLagoon

Raido

Thanks for testing BlackL, nice to hear that these ones work too :) - greetz to Revy over there in Roanapra btw :D

Regards, R

Raido, Jul 25, 2008
  3. BlackLagoon

Mangod

Day of the Tentacle. [​IMG]

Mangod, Aug 1, 2008
  4. BlackLagoon

Demiurge

Can someone please explain how to move items on the advanced menu to other categories? I like to have things where they should be :) And btw, anyone know where the dosbox config-files are located, or know of a good frontend with per-game config?

edit: -writeconf .dosboxrc in dosbox did the trick for the config-file :)

Demiurge, Aug 12, 2008
  5. BlackLagoon

lightpost

Quick Question: Has anyone had any performance issues running DOSBox games? I tried installing two recently: Simcity 2000 and Heroes of Might and Magic II. And while Simcity runs fairly well (aside from a jittery mouse), HOMM2 is very sluggish.

Granted, I've not done anything to alter the Fedora DOSBox settings in any way -- up until now I've only used it on my Shuttle KPC running PCLinuxOS without hassle. :p

lightpost, Aug 15, 2008
  6. BlackLagoon

Elmlea

I've downloaded and installed SCUMMVM (lifelong Lucasarts fan, with all the games still piled up in the loft!), but I can't get it to "see" any of the folders I've put my games in.

I've copied my files from The Secret of Monkey Island onto a USB drive, but SCUMMVM can't look at that. So I copied it onto the AA1's SSD in a folder called "Games" next to "Files," "Documents" etc, but when I fire up SCUMMVM it sees all the folders like "Pictures" and "Videos" but can't see my "Games" one!

Anyone have any hints?

Elmlea, Oct 1, 2008
Ask a Question