Flash Performance Issues

Discussion in 'Linux' started by Kev50027, Aug 5, 2008.

1. Kev50027

Kev50027

Hi, I love my Aspire One, but when using Firefox (2.0, included) online, flash videos lag horribly when in full screen. Is there another add on for FF that would improve Flash performance? Watching full screen videos as if they are a slideshow just sucks.

Kev50027, Aug 5, 2008
  2. Kev50027

Beldar

Can you give me some url's? I don't seem to have this problem.

Beldar, Aug 5, 2008
  3. Kev50027

Kev50027

Any hulu.com video, youtube video, or flash video on the internet slows to a crawl, but only when in full screen. I have no other programs running, and it did this when the machine was brand new, and had no additional software installed.

Kev50027, Aug 6, 2008
  4. Kev50027

retsaw

Flash on Linux doesn't seem to use hardware acceleration for video, so it is really processor intensive when resizing to full screen. I think this is to be fixed for the next version of Flash, but I'm not sure.

If I want full screen flash video I use mplayer instead. Mplayer can play .flv files, but it doesn't work on the included version, so if you want to use it for that you need to uninstall the included version, add the livna repository to yum and reinstall mplayer with the version from the livnea repository. To play the videos I typically just pause the Flash player and then run mplayer /tmp/Flashxxxxxx where the x's are a random string of characters. This only works where the video is saved as a temporary file, but it certainly works for YouTube.

retsaw, Aug 6, 2008
  5. Kev50027

annafil

annafil, Aug 31, 2008
  6. Kev50027

dreniac

Be aware when you have activated compiz on your system (default=off):
    "For Linux, the hardware acceleration feature will not work if you are using a compositing window manager (compiz). In this case, Flash Player 10 Beta will always fall back to software. If you would like to test Flash Player 10 Beta on Linux, please disable your compositing window manager."

dreniac, Sep 2, 2008
  7. Kev50027

annafil

dreniac: that's true, but with a better driver the difference isn't noticeable. I'm using the latest flash 10 with xfce4 compositing enabled (about the same performance hit as compiz which I run occasionally), and flash videos run very well :)

I put up a howto about upgrading the intel driver in the howto section of this forum.

annafil, Sep 2, 2008
Ask a Question