fixing ctrl-a shortcut to work properly.

Discussion in 'Linux' started by rebuilder, Aug 26, 2008.

1. rebuilder

rebuilder

I was annoyed for quite a whole that ctrl-a didn't work right on input boxes. Finally got fed up enough with it to try and fix the problem. It wasn't that hard, in the end. open the xfce menu (right-click on desktop) and select settings>keyboard settings. Under "keyboard map" select "default" instead of "emacs". Ctrl-a should work now.

Note that this changes the behaviour of the 'home' key as well, it now acts as 'super'. For me, that's just an added benefit, since I'm not using the acer desktop anyway, and the key was useless to me before. If you need it, or find something else the keymap switch changed that you need, you will probably want to find out where the keymap files are stored and edit them manually.

rebuilder, Aug 26, 2008
  2. rebuilder

SuzuKube

Thanks, work fine :D

SuzuKube, Sep 8, 2008
  3. rebuilder

annafil

Thanks for this!

I was trying to be too smart, went and looked in all the config files imaginable, turned off the scim input stuff and turns out it was so easy. ISh :mrgreen:

annafil, Sep 10, 2008
  4. rebuilder

DiSK

Yay, it worked! Thanks a lot!

DiSK, Sep 12, 2008
  5. rebuilder

optimal

I almost wiped the thing cause this was driving me MENTAL - EMACS style input is for hardened Linux users, not new users like the target market for the Aspire One. Daft buggers.

Anyhow, thank you VERY much, I had to search for EMACS, cause the terms I used didn't get it:

CTRL+F, CTRL+B, CTRL+A, CTRL+O, borked

optimal, Apr 19, 2009
Ask a Question