First problem - strange one

Discussion in 'Linux' started by Gru, Jul 22, 2008.

1. Gru

Gru

Well I was playing with desktop icons last night, editing the group-app.xml file, and was rebooting a lot to apply the changes I was making.

What I noticed after one of those restarts is that my Open Office icons were gone from the desktop. After a bit of research I found out that the programs were nowhere to be found!

I went to add / remove, and even though they were checkmarked in there, when I tried removing them they were not there at all, as a matter of fact everything that was under that section wea gone (2 more programs on top of Open Office).

So I reinstalled Open Office and those 2 other programs but unfortunately I cannot open them now, and the icons on the Desktop are not the ones Acer had, but regular OO icons.

The error I get when I try to open is something like: 'Unable to open %U"

Can this be fixed, or need to reinstall? :)

Gru, Jul 22, 2008
  2. Gru

dandesigns

1. sudo thunar
    2. go to /usr/share/applications/
    3. look for the openoffice icons (writer, calc, etc)
    4. right click on openoffice writer(example) then select properties
    5. on the launcher tab(last tab), look for the "Command" text field and remove %U
    6. save(edit: close). then do the same for the rest of the openoffice applications.

dandesigns, Jul 22, 2008
  3. Gru

jazzy6056

I'm having a similar problem with open office. When I try to launch any of the programs from the desktop, I get the following error message: /home/usr/%U does not exist. I can launch them from the applications directory. I tried what dandesigns suggested but I'm not able to remove/delete the %U. Is there another way to fix this?

jazzy6056, Jul 23, 2008
  4. Gru

Gru

Now VLC has disappeared.. rather strange

Is there a way to test SSD for errors / problems?

Thanks!

Gru, Jul 24, 2008
  5. Gru

scalpelmaster

hmmm it seems we're all having the same problem...i also noticed that the filenames written in the xml file are different from the ones in the applications folder (e.g. Presentation instead of Open Ofc...impress)...since i could not change the properties of the files i tried changing the names in the xml file...and when i restarted my One the Open office icons disappeared...i have no problems when i run the OO programs from the right click menus (sorry i'm not really good at computer terms hehe)

btw, this happened after i added the OO database program...i noticed that after installation there was some kind of a message saying "cleanup write, cleanup impress, etc

scalpelmaster, Jul 24, 2008
  6. Gru

Gru

I am more concerned with programs being uninstalled by themselves. I will do an USB reset to factory settings over the weekend.

If this keeps happening I will start bugging Acer. :)

Gru, Jul 24, 2008
  7. Gru

dandesigns

are you on root account when you tried to edit it? press alt+f2 then type in sudo thunar /usr/share/applications/
    try to repeat the steps. i had the same error when i installed OO2.4 .

the missing applications happened to me when I had incorrect values set at the group-app.xml . make sure all apps don't have conflict in sequence values and their .desktop file exist(or link)

dandesigns, Jul 24, 2008
  8. Gru

Gru

Thanks for the info!

Now I know where the problem is, so I can work on fixing it :)

Gru, Jul 24, 2008
  9. Gru

dandesigns

also, when linking you should use the filename of the desktop configuration file, not the name you see on thunar (not 'Openoffice 2.4 Writer', etc.)

the file ends with a .desktop extension so check it. right click the file then open with editor or mousepad. don't edit anything, just look for the filename of the file on top of the editor window.

dandesigns, Jul 24, 2008
  10. Gru

dandesigns

i forgot to mention that you need to restart after doing the steps since the desktop needs to be refreshed. :)

i also uploaded the default icons(ootb) here since the oo2.4 icons are nasty. sorry but they really are! hehe.. here's the link

http://www.aspireoneuser.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=280

dandesigns, Jul 24, 2008
Ask a Question