First impressions: Ubuntu 9.04 on AAO D250

Discussion in 'Linux' started by Thermonuclear, Jun 12, 2009.

1. Thermonuclear

Thermonuclear

First impressions: Ubuntu 9.04 on AAO D250

Greetings.

I'm a newcomer to the AAO D250 and to this board, but not to Linux. I thought I might share some of my first impressions of having my D250 meet up with the 9.04 stock desktop install. (I've got two other machines running 9.04, a Compaq tower and a Toshiba notebook.)

1) It can be a bit confusing with different hardware models sharing the AAO name. When I post about my netbook I will always identify it as a D250. Actually, it's a D250-1042 -- whatever the "1042" might mean.

2) I had no use for the Windows XP that was installed on the machine at the factory, so it got totally wiped on the first day. Ubuntu 9.04 desktop was installed via a USB stick.

3) There has been the occasional flakey behavior with the WiFI using the default (ath5k) driver, but this seems to have settled down. The netbook is successfully connected to my WiFi b/g/n router with it's private SSID network using WPA/WPA2 Personal security.

4) The WiFi LED does not work.

5) The wired Ethernet interface does not work. Running "lspci -v" says that it's an Attansic Technology Corp product and that there are no kernel drivers in use.

6) A suspend will blank the screen, but the system seems to still be running (WiFi active, responds to pings).

7) The Network Tools application shows a "pan0" unknown interface complete with a MAC address. I assume that this is Bluetooth. How might I be sure, and how do I get it running?

8) The Network Tools application shows a "wmaster0" unknown interface complete with a MAC address. I assume that this is the wired Ethernet.

9) It is not clear to me which of the automatic power saving features are working.

Thanks in advance for any comments.

Thermonuclear, Jun 12, 2009
  2. Thermonuclear

RockDoctor

I've got an AOA150, but I can address two of your points:
    7. Your assumption is correct. I don't have any bluetooth network devices, but my bluetooth mouse just works when I plug it in.
    8. wmaster0 is actually related to wlan0. Note the hardware addresses in the output of ifconfig. I have no idea what it's purpose is; I just ignore it.

RockDoctor, Jun 12, 2009
  3. Thermonuclear

Thermonuclear

Bluetooth

I've been trying to get Bluetooth file sharing running and have had no luck at all. The AAO D250 is not discovered by my known good Mac, and the Mac BT is not discovered by the AAO.

----

By the way, there are other slight differences between the D250 (at least my D250) and other models:

1) There is only one SD slot; it's on the right of the machine. I haven't tried this yet.

2) There appears to be no Bluetooth switch as I've seen reported on other AAO models.

3) The three cell battery is standard, not the six cell version.

4) No SSD; instead, there's a 160 GB HD.

Thermonuclear, Jun 13, 2009
Ask a Question