First Impressions (8gb SSD, Linux Version)

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by smacman, Jul 8, 2008.

1. smacman

osdude

No, I only click. And the little scroll area is awesome (just discovered that today)

osdude, Jul 29, 2008
  2. smacman

komodo

My first impression is that I really like the hard ware on the one. It looks good, is fast, has a really nice screen, etc. What I do not like, and what I am actually very surprised to find out, is that the linpus lite version on the One has some serious design flaws.

A really big problem is the fact that some dependencies can not be resolved with the out-of-the-box repositories that are present on this system. The way around it is to eneable development repos from fedora, but then you find out that acer has some custom build RPMs installed that actually gives a conflict with the updates that you can get using the live update utility. A way around that is to deinstall the custom package, only to find out that there other custom packages that actually depend on the package you want to deinstall. A prime example is firefox, which is a custom firefox build for the acer. To get the updates running, you would need to deinstall this custom package, but you can't because the acer desktop depends on it. So, either you never update your system, or we find a way around this. Only, I really did deinstall the custom firefox and its depending packages and now....I HAVE A BLACK SCREEN :shock: No, it is not broken or anything, I just happen to have removed the acer desktop. :mrgreen:

That is really cool. I am now installing fedora FC9 in hopes that it is better. Too bad about the really fast boot process, and I actually did like the 'easy desktop' especially when the 'advanced desktop' was enabled.

komodo, Jul 29, 2008
  3. smacman

daymz

I'm just curious as to how you're using these green international characters there. I've got the Canadian version of the A110 (indeed the A110-1955) , but I just can't figure out how to get the é, à, and so on when I write in french.

Thanks!

daymz, Jul 29, 2008
  4. smacman

casainho

Hello :)

I am also a user of Asus eee pc 701 - I just bought today the AA1 :)

I don't like on AA1 the noisy fan :-( and the plastic texture of the mouse :-(

The first thing were install GNU/Linux Ubuntu :) -- very happy now, writing this words using it :)

casainho, Jul 29, 2008
  5. smacman

taxus

lotus49: Haven't received my One yet, but I too mostly tap the trackpad when using notebooks.

daymz: as for the green international characters, I haven't seen a picture of the keyboard layout either. As I wrote to you earlier in private, I guess they represent the "Canada Multilingual" (specifically "multix") variant of the ca keyboard layout. So in order to use them, you have to use that variant.

That's the layout I'm using on my desktop (Ubuntu 7.10). It's actually a CSA standard that was created in 1992, and is much better for typing French (since it has the most used accented letters) than the old "French Canadian" variant that everyone uses in Quebec (which only has one accented letter). It's only used in the federal and provincial governments, and has also been the layout for the French Canadian versions of Apple computers since 1993 or 1994 (which is how I got to adopt it). Very few retailers sell keyboards with the Canada Multilingual layout, so I usually get them from surplus stores that retrieves used equipment from the government.

taxus, Jul 30, 2008
  6. smacman

shihan

Just on a side note (mine arrived yesterday), theres a quicker and easier way to get to a terminal (or to xfce settings, etc etc).. alt-f2 (run program). So like to get a terminal alt-f2 type: "Terminal" and click run (or alt-r).

shihan, Jul 30, 2008
  7. smacman

madisonman

With VLC figured out & a $25 8gb SD card the AA1 is perfect! I've only been using desktops with 22"+ screens for a couple years so the screen on this took a couple hours to appreciate.

Tapping seems to be what you're expected to use. It is just the right clicks and highlighting that are a bit of a pain.

Now that I went through the most embarrassing steps on my transition to basic linux I am extremely happy with it.

madisonman, Jul 30, 2008
  8. smacman

Davidcowling

you really like the hardware, eh?

what do you think of the build quality? iam struggling to find one to look at before i buy!

Davidcowling, Jul 31, 2008
  9. smacman

Raido

Build quality seems pretty good. No obvious defects after a week or so, the thing looks solid & fairly stylish (in blue), nothing rattling or breaking yet and apart from the glare sometimes, the screen is clear & bright.

Raido, Jul 31, 2008
  10. smacman

taxus

I got my One. I was wrong, as I wrote here.

In order to have the layout I wanted, I had to modify files as per the instructions in the Keyboard map issue thread.

taxus, Aug 1, 2008
  11. smacman

dandesigns

I'm on my third week and still loving the AA1. I had XP on it (for 8hours?) but reverted to Linpus Lite as it is blazingly fast! :) no bells and whistles here but it can get the job done in minutes.

If budget is not the problem, go get MacBook Air. But AA1 is the One in terms of mobility and economy. :)

dandesigns, Aug 2, 2008
  12. smacman

Davidcowling

if you can live with one usb port or possibly none if you want a wired ethernet, then get a macbook air.
    if you want a laptop that overheats in slightly hotter than normal climates, then get a macbook air.
    if you have a wallet the size of africa, then get a macbook air

if you're smart, then get an Aspire One

Davidcowling, Aug 8, 2008
  13. smacman

mattymatt

Hi all,

My first post here, and I'm someone who rarely posts anything anywhere (Mum doesn't even get a birthday card usually). Please forgive my wordiness, I don't know how to express myself another (shorter) way.

I've had my One (or AA1? haven't quite decided) for about a month and I'm loving it. It's my first laptop ever, though I've been doing computers for about 25 years. I've been waiting for a machine of this build quality, form factor, hardware capability and price point, for a long time (obviously).

First up, I do like the keyboard. It's large enough for me to comfortably touch type, but I do have to watch my thumbs; I find that sometimes they breeze ever so lightly over the trackpad causing random pointer movement grief. I'll put up with a few more typing errors than normal, as it's the form factor and price that brought me to the Acer first.

The trackpad. Well it's a trackpad, I'm not a fan, but they work and don't take up space. I use tapping, so the button placement doesn't concern me. I don't even want to press those buttons, they are built like an old IBM keyboard and everyone knows you're pressing those buttons. There's a useful vertical scroll section at the extreme right and horizontal scroll along the bottom; the bottom-right corner performs as a right mouse click.

I think the expandability potential of the machine is great. Plenty of USB and storage slots. RAM is also expandable; I will do this eventually. I've got no problem with disassembling the machine, but I think I'll wait until I'm out of warranty, unless some cool app forces my hand earlier.

The LCD is great for indoor use, I dim it to save my eyes and the reasonably powerless 2400mAh battery. Outdoors in the bright sun it has a hard time like every laptop I've seen, which is a pity since it's an on-the-go machine and I intend doing plenty of GPS stuff with it on walks, rides, drives, whatever.

On the battery, I'm getting about 2.5 hours or so. I'm not really taxing it yet, so I'll probably get the 6-cell but I'm just hoping it won't make the machine look ugly.

Out of the box, my first order of the day was to find a way to the console. First came across it in the Thunar file app, but then also found the alt-f2 method. Once I had command line I knew this was the machine for me. I wasn't sure it was a real computer until I could get down in there and hack.

One of my first issues was the keyboard layout changing, but it didn't take long to sort that. Thoughtless oversight, Acer.

Next the media player wasn't installed with any useful codecs, so I installed MPlayer from the livna repo and brought that up to speed. Still haven't done a lot of testing of full screen video, but it seems ok.

My main gripe with the machine would be lack of built-in bluetooth capability. Yeah sure, just plug in a dongle (and you can get some excellent "nano" ones now) I thought. I thought wrong. They haven't even compiled bluetooth support into the kernel!? Now I'm no Linux superman, I've used it since Redhat 5.2, but I consider myself at a lower intermediate level. So I started the long road of compiling my own kernel and just knowing that things wouldn't work properly, because I didn't know where to get the kernel source for the specific "lw" kernel in the AA1.

Well it turned out I had to leave the machine alone for a few days and when I finally got back to having a look at bluetooth, I instead found this site and a thread which is getting me towards my goal of connecting the machine using my phone as a bluetooth modem. I can ping my phone so far! yay me!

A smaller gripe is the horrible email client. I pretty quickly installed Thunderbird as I couldn't get the provided client to play nicely with the authentication and encryption on my mail server.

Sorry I've really rambled horribly! I look forward to lurking more. And maybe rambling more. :roll: (Did I miss anything you need to know about?)

mattymatt, Aug 19, 2008
  14. smacman

Frits

Hello everybody.
    I am using the One like i think it suppose to be used.
    On Holiday(hello Greece) , using the wireless( see my thread: wireless all lost in the network topic).
    I check my mail, my wife checks her hyves, my son plays the games(supertux)
    We also check our photos we make every day.
    And it works okay.
    So i am satisfied with it.
    After my holiday i am going to use it for my work.......... :mrgreen:

Frits, Aug 19, 2008
  15. smacman

Guest Guest

Hello all-
    I just got my One today. So far I'm pretty satisfied. No problem with the fan, no obnoxious noise, just a quiet fan sound.
    I would like to find a way to remove the icons that I know I won't be using, e.g. some of the games, the email, messenger and hotmail.
    I'm very new to Linux, still reading books and anything I find of interest on the net.

Reading this thread has been very informative. Thanks for the tips.
    Stephen.

Guest, Sep 24, 2008
  16. smacman

Milol337

I really like my AAO. Its was made for what i need. If you are in an airport and you dont have any way to call someone, you could use skype with the wireless. For me its a nice and confortable laptop. Im sure im going to buy an external HDD to storage some music.

I have a question, a really big question. ( I know this is not the topic... but im really having big problems.)

Im new with linux... i have a pc... and i dont know why when i start my AAO everything went ok, but when im in the desktop appears with black and white stripes... the mouse icon and a search bar for desktop and internet. I really dont know what 2 do, cause i cant do anything...

Im was trying to create a bootable recovery usb from the dvd that cames on my pc ( Booting the dvd from bios and bla bla )... but it gaves me a "ERROR 39..." when i try to install the recovery files in my 2gb kingston usb.

Can someone help me... i was glad with my AAO... and i want 2 keep felling like that ... :(

Milol337, Nov 26, 2008
Ask a Question