First Impressions (8gb SSD, Linux Version)

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by smacman, Jul 8, 2008.

1. smacman

2manydjs

Mine is so quiet, it took me a day to realize it actually had a fan.

2manydjs, Jul 17, 2008
  2. smacman

Flaterik

uhm. I know that ther's a fan when i power on it at the middle of the night with no rumours. In a normal situation, it's look like a palm :)

Flaterik, Jul 17, 2008
  3. smacman

nizmo

Must be something wrong with mine then

nizmo, Jul 17, 2008
  4. smacman

Flaterik

What are the situation you try this. For example at your house with a tv on with no big volume , only a few, you can hear your AspireOne. If the answer is Yes, it looks like a problem, if is NO , try in another space with less noise and give us an example. We can comparate with our aspire one noise

Flaterik, Jul 17, 2008
  5. smacman

nizmo

Ok, I have done a test comparing it to my full size acer laptop, its a 14.1" The full size laptop is quieter ! besides when its fan comes on,the fan comes on very little. I am u0ploading a video of the noise , its not great, its got noise that the microphone makes, but you can hear the fannoise if you turn your speakers up. this is in a quiet environment, no tv, no windows open etc.

http://tinypic.com/player.php?v=2s60lm1&s=4

with tv on a normal volume, I am still aware of it cause i know its there.

the aspire one fan is a constant noise as well, not like a smooth air noise either, a vibrating fan noise added.

Really not happy about this, I expected something near silent.

PS. does anyone know how to get the proper key to work for the @ sign... my number 2 key and @ are switched, i changed to UK keyboard, but still doesnt work.

nizmo, Jul 17, 2008
  6. smacman

nullimage

Mine is noisy, but not that noisy.. It looks like yours is not working properly. Mine can only be heard in a somewhat quiet room, if there's some normal background noise i can't hear it.

nullimage, Jul 17, 2008
  7. smacman

Guest Guest

I just watched your vid, I would say I have heard mine that loud at one point, but its not constant, depends what its doing.
    Not a mega issue to me.

Guest, Jul 17, 2008
  8. smacman

wunderbar

mine is audible if the room is quiet, not annoying, but audible.

if I have the TV on, or am playing music, I really have to listen to hear it. if I'm just web browsing/im'ing with the TV on I really can't hear mine unless I put my ear up to the fan.

wunderbar, Jul 17, 2008
  9. smacman

skateasian

so what is the door for?

skateasian, Jul 17, 2008
  10. smacman

wunderbar

It's for future support of some kind of WWAN, be it 3G or WiMax.

wunderbar, Jul 17, 2008
  11. smacman

zaphod

I've just received mine and first impressions are very favourable. It is quiet, though the fan can just be heard. Connecting to the internet via WiFi was simple, I have no problems with the glossy screen and the keyboard is fine. The only problem so far is the keyboard map issue discussed elsewhere. I have a French keyboard and even though I selected français at power up the Acer has insisted on an English keyboard map !

zaphod, Jul 17, 2008
  12. smacman

skateasian

so i guess its good news for those who decided to sacrifice 3G or Wimax and get the aspire one on release =)

skateasian, Jul 18, 2008
  13. smacman

Spire

Hi!

I got it today! I dont' like the noise, the fan is very noisy in a quite room!! Using it in your bed before sleeping... forget it. very annoying noise! Now i'm listening and i think this is not fan noise.

Spire, Jul 21, 2008
  14. smacman

nizmo

Had the same problem with my first one mate, I took it back, got it exchanged, and now the second one does the same... PcWorld now saying that I cant get a refund because thats just how they are !! So I am stuck with a noisy system. The extra noise I think is the vibration the fan makes against something.. I am gonna fight them to get a refund.

nizmo, Jul 21, 2008
  15. smacman

Afterimage

I just got mine a couple of days ago, and overall I have to say that I'm fairly impressed with everything in this little package. I got the 8GB Linpus Linux version in white, and I think it's more attractive looking than the other netbooks on the market. I also like the fact the the keyboard is big enough for touch typing, without making the whole thing too large to lug around.

With the Linpus Linux system, I find it to be a bit difficult to tweak, so I haven't really bothered much. I'm a novice Linux user at best, and the basic interface suits me just fine for most things that I plan to use the One for, since it isn't my primary laptop. One thing that I have changed is the wallpaper, but that was a relatively simple process. I would like to update to Firefox 3 one of these days, and I think I'll eventually consider trying Ubuntu Netbook Remix on it, but for now I plan to leave things as is.

A couple of disappointments in that after I did the Live Update, the amount of free space I had was down to less than 4 GB, and the fan is quite noticeable in a quiet room. Not unbearable, but certainly annoying.

Afterimage, Jul 21, 2008
  16. smacman

Spire

Yes its kind of vibration sound (or very fast motorbike effect) :twisted:
    i will open it soon and try to make some modification, i think need to change the cheap fun or decrease the speed, anyway now i'dont want to start with soldering..

!!!!!
    After the 3rd restart today the linux has gone!! I have only taskbar with kind of white screen... :?
    I have no usb dvd drive for the recovery so now i'm installing xp..
    !!!!

Spire, Jul 21, 2008
  17. smacman

Sid

Before I start, I declare that I do not like M$ anything, I am a Mac user, I have been for ages.
    Yes I bought the Linux version :D

Well overall I am very impressed, (I only have a few hours of ownership at this time). I have downloaded skype, it was a fairly painless process (I read the helpful posts on the forum, before getting "stuck in").

I have asked elsewhere about the keyboard layout, (UK pound sign and (a) symbol ) I see there is an update available from Acer, downloading it now, so maybe it will help.

Skype was reported as installed correctly, But getting skype to run was a bit off the track, I am no Linux expert so I used the search facility and found about 40 something items with Skype in their name, I narrowed my selection to executables and ended up running the file in usr bin, well it seemed to work. I just need to work out how I get the Skype icon into the main startup page.

When Skype started, the mic boost and mic levels were quite low, so callers couldn't hear me properly, once I turned them up, callers were much happier.

Fan noise, I must be lucky, I cannot really hear the fan, I will keep an ear open for any changes.

Heat, I bought the unit at PC World Yeovil, I asked if I could check the unit over before I left the store, they were happy for me to do so.
    After starting the One, the battery had some charge, the first run configuration screen started, but as I didn't know how much time was available on the battery I decided to close the screen and perform the installation once I got to a mains supply.
    1st lesson learnt, I need to remember that I must put the One into sleep mode when I close the screen;Why? Because I put the One into the sleeve (Acer supplied), and about an hour later when I got the One out, it was really toasty (not hot, but quite warm).

The track pad is OK, I have to relearn the button positions, I am getting there, slowly.

More comments as I think of them.....

Sid, Jul 22, 2008
  18. smacman

Shiny

Hey everyone!
    First of all, with what ive read about the Acer Aspire one, i am craving to get one right now. the only main things stopping me are: the space of only 8GB, linux, and I need to know if i can download games. Not stuff like w.o.w but more like maple story or gunbound... If it can run: office, maple story, and solitaire, im basically set... (please skip the comments about my strange interests)
    Thanks! >w<

Shiny, Jul 23, 2008
  19. smacman

Raido

In principle, the AOne can do what you want. The 8 GB is not that much of a problem (it can be expanded by simply shoving a memory card in the lefthand side and it's added to the internal 8 GB.

Unless you want to run Windoze on this little thing - which you don't - it'll have room to work with. Office - as in OpenOffice, which will do fine - is in there by default, games like Solitaire can be downloaded and installed pretty easily (just don't expect miracles running Crysis here ;) ) there are several nice little games included by default as well. Maple Story should theoretically run on Linux, people have done it, but I think installing it is going to be something for the time you'd be well-experienced with the system. :geek:

Regards, R

Raido, Jul 24, 2008
  20. smacman

Shiny

Thanks so much! :]
    Even if maple can't be run, it's fine i guess... im good with computers, but not that good... ^^"
    I'm actually going to buy it right now! -so excited-
    Thankss againnn!!!!!! :D

Shiny, Jul 24, 2008
Ask a Question