Firewire for Audio Interface

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by dysph0ria, Aug 18, 2016.

1. dysph0ria

dysph0ria

I use my laptop for music, and my audio interface runs on Firewire. For various long and complicated reasons, I really don't want to use a USB interface when there are a lot of channels to record. My current laptop is kind of old, but it works fine for my purposes. The thing is, even though mine has firewire built in I still need to use an expansion card because the built-in firewire port isn't good enough for an audio interface. Don't know why, and don't care.

In any case, the problem I have is that most laptops these days don't have a place for expansion cards. This is becoming a real problem.

Am I the only one in the world that needs expansion card slots?

Does anyone else here have some weird, quirky reason for still needing PCMCIA?

dysph0ria, Aug 18, 2016
  2. dysph0ria

acerme2

I do use a firewire expansion card. We have an old video recorder that records on mini cassette tapes and the files can only be converted to MP4 by first connecting one of its cable to our computer through the firewire port. Does that mean that your laptop is still running on Windows XP or older? I don't think it will work on Windows 8.1, the OS on my laptop, so I plugged the expansion card on our old desktop with XP.

acerme2, Aug 29, 2016
  3. dysph0ria

Corzhens

Gee, I didn't know that. As I have posted in some other threads, we have a concrete plan to buy a new laptop, we're just trying to gather more funds for the purpose. And in line with that, I am doing a little research on new laptops particularly with the storage. And now you have mentioned about the lack of facility for adding an expansion card. How about if I would need a graphics card for the new laptop, that would be a problem when there is no more space for the additional graphic card.

Corzhens, Aug 30, 2016
  4. dysph0ria

something back

Most all laptop graphics are in the form of a G.P.U. chip soldered on to the motherboard and cannot be replaced,the term
    "graphic card" is misleading when it refers to a laptop

Last edited: Aug 30, 2016
    something back, Aug 30, 2016
    Corzhens likes this.
Ask a Question