Firewall for Linux

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by Phil2408, Sep 1, 2008.

1. Phil2408

Phil2408

I have just just bought an AA1 running Linux. This is my first Linux machine.
    Does it have a Firewall already installed? If so, is it activated, or do I have to do something?
    I have seen references to IPTables, but don't really understand how this works.

Also, is it worth installed Anti-Virus software e.g. AVG? I have read many opinions that suggest it is not necessary on Linux. Any other views or help will be most welcomed.

Phil2408, Sep 1, 2008
  2. Phil2408

rbil

You don't need to concern yourself with a firewall with Linux unless you're going to be using it as a router. Out of the box, ports are only opened when a service is running that requires said port(s) to be opened.

You DO NOT NEED any anti-virus software unless your Linux computer will be used to serve files to a Windows client(s). Hardly the role assigned to a netbook computer.

Cheers.

rbil, Sep 1, 2008
  3. Phil2408

A_I

The best thing in linux at the moment is that you can forget about damn antivirus,firewall and viruses alike :roll:

A_I, Sep 1, 2008
  4. Phil2408

supermotorrad

Ok, I know that in theory I don't need a firewall or antivirus, but as a first time linux user... Can I really really get away without a firewall for doing internet banking and stuff when I'm on holiday at a free wifi hotspot??? :?

supermotorrad, Sep 6, 2008
Ask a Question