Firewall for Acer Aspire One A150

Discussion in 'Windows' started by wayfarerjon, Jan 21, 2009.

1. wayfarerjon

wayfarerjon

At the moemnt I am running my Aspire One A150 (Windows XP and Firefox) with the XP firewall. Not too confident that this is enough protection, so I am looking for free Firewall software that will provide good protection, but also not be too intrusive or too complicated.

I thought Sunbelt - Kerio would fit the bill, but I found suprisingly that it conflicts with Firefox. Can anyone make a recommendation please.

wayfarerjon, Jan 21, 2009
  2. wayfarerjon

melhiore

ZoneAlarm - try... ;) I'm happy with this product...

melhiore, Jan 21, 2009
  3. wayfarerjon

PDub

As i type this i'm installing comodo firewall. Was going to use zonealarm but read about it not being as good as comodo or subelt-kerio, which i'll try next if i dnt like or have problems with comodo.

PDub, Jan 21, 2009
  4. wayfarerjon

PDub

Right, installed comodo internet security which includes an antivirus but it was using up quite a bit of memory compred to anything else, so i i just took off the antivirus part, and all seems well.

Using avira antivir. comodo firewall, a1ctl with wifi enabled my page file is about 280mb.

PDub, Jan 21, 2009
  5. wayfarerjon

wayfarerjon

Many thanks so far.

I installed Comodo on my PC, which I believe from reports gives the best protection of all the free firewalls. It is however quite intrusive. I was hoping to find a free firewall for my Acer One Netbook (XP/Firefox/broadband router), that is not resource hungry and easy to use. I thought Sunbelt could be the answer but experienced conflicts.

I have read reports http://www.techsupportalert.com/best-free-firewall.htm not recommending ZoneAlarm free version, so maybe this will be no better than the Windows XP firewall I am using?

Does anyone else have anything to add from their Acer One Netbbok expereince with firewalls?

wayfarerjon, Jan 22, 2009
  6. wayfarerjon

PDub

After using my One last night i found Comodo firewall casuing problems in freezeing my keypad movement and like you say quite intrusive at first.

Very tempted to just remove it and run with windows firewall instead along with my router firewall.

Any one else want to offer some experience?

PDub, Jan 22, 2009
  7. wayfarerjon

wayfarerjon

Thanks. I am tempted to do the same (eg: use XP firewall plus router plus Firefox and AVG AV), but would be interested to hear if anyone has a positive experience with other software!

wayfarerjon, Jan 22, 2009
  8. wayfarerjon

Skrymr

I am running comodo anti virus with it''s firewall. At work with internet plugged in, no problems. At home with wireless internet, I am experiencing slow downs. I'm not sure if this is related to comodo or not, but it started after I installed comodo and CCleaner. Before hand, no problems, so I am not sure which of the two is causing it.

Dan

Skrymr, Jan 22, 2009
  9. wayfarerjon

Forone

Windows firewall is inbound protection only, so is best with a full firewall (google). If always running behind a protective hardware firewall (router) there's no need for anything more. I'd suggest installing a VPN "tunnel" for wi-fi hotspot protection - doesn't need to run all except when out in the public wireless jungle - I've got this one:

http://hotspotshield.com/

(Personally running Norton IS 2009 which by most accounts is the best / lightest footprint/ least bothersome security fix, but not free. Never had any intrusions from free ZoneAlarm before that, and it's also lightweight, but too many permission requests.)

Forone, Jan 22, 2009
  10. wayfarerjon

simbeb

Don't install Avira Antivir with Kerio - they conflict: the antivirus refuses to work.

simbeb, Jan 22, 2009
  11. wayfarerjon

Paisley Pirate

I've been running Comodo and Avira antivirus. Also run spybot-sd resident.

The only conflicts I've had with it are on updates for avira as it comes on before the network I am going into has had a chance to verify access. (I am working out of a hotel, and have been on both their wire and wireless access)

I've had only one instance of anything hitting the firewall, and it shut it down.

Yeah, it's a bit intrusive (!) at first, but you know what? It's effective.

Have I noticed a lot of issue with lagging or other slowdowns? Not really. Still faster than the Acer "big" laptops our company has for work... and they are even newer than my AAO and are running vista... (maybe that's why...)

Still, I've been very happy with this set up.

Paisley Pirate, Feb 1, 2009
  12. wayfarerjon

p1u

p1u, Mar 11, 2009
Ask a Question