Firefox won't open from Desktop

Discussion in 'Linux' started by karenbee, Apr 5, 2010.

1. karenbee

karenbee

Hi
    Can't find this as an issue anywhere, so posting as new topic.
    AA1 booted as normal and no obvious problems other than when I click on the Firefox logo on the desktop, it won't open. I can get to Firefox by opening the Hotmail logo - but it is an old version of FF and doesn't have all my bookmarks and can't be updated. This is really frustrating as the whole purpose for me having the AA1 was to access the internet away from the house on a mobile device.
    Does anyone have any suggestions?
    thanks

karenbee, Apr 5, 2010
  2. karenbee

Jimux

There are two issues here, and as you have posted this in the Linux software section I assume you are running Linpus. Firstly upgrading Firefox, and secondly getting it to run from the desktop icon.
    This link is to a post that describes how to upgrade Firefox and also add it to the start menu.
    www.aspireoneuser.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=73&t=20314
    Once you have done that you can right click on the desktop icon and change the execute command string to point to the new version.

Jimux, Apr 5, 2010
  3. karenbee

karenbee

Sorry - perhaps I didn't make myself clear. The Firefox that was linked to the desktop was fully updated. However, the other desktop logo e.g the hotmail one are, for some reason the old FF version 2 which is the version the AA1 came with.
    I can only assume that somehow the link from the logo has been broken to the actual program. As you can tell I am not very good at this!
    thanks

karenbee, Apr 5, 2010
  4. karenbee

karenbee

PS - I don't know how to do your other instruction which was to right click and point the icon to the correct version of Firefox.

karenbee, Apr 5, 2010
  5. karenbee

Jimux

Sorry,I may have misunderstood your problem. After upgrading Firefox it is generally started by
    /opt/firefox/firefox which in turn runs /opt/firefox/run-mozilla
    You can check where your firefox is running from by starting firefox and then opening a terminal session from the start menu at the bottom of the screen.
    In the terminal session type ps -ef | grep fire [enter] and you will get a response like
    user 31808 1 0 08:59 ? 00:00:00 /bin/sh /opt/firefox/firefox
    user 31811 31808 0 08:59 ? 00:00:00 /bin/sh /opt/firefox/run-mozilla

Job 31808 is the one that started firefox.
    now open start menu, settings, preferred applications and change the browser entry to /opt/firefox/firefox "%s" as described in the post I referred to earlier..

Jimux, Apr 8, 2010
Ask a Question