[Firefox] scroll speed

Discussion in 'Linux' started by 2manydjs, Aug 5, 2008.

1. 2manydjs

2manydjs

If you find firefox is scrolling to fast with the touchpad, you might be interested in this.
    https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+question/9200

2manydjs, Aug 5, 2008
  2. 2manydjs

baseline

Don't know if this is being discussed in another thread or not and it's not exactly related to this one, but after disabling firefox cache completely I did some tests and at least on my SSD the speed increase was exponential.
    The default of 50 megs cache seems to be to much for the throughput of the system, I noticed that whenever I launched FF and accessed a page that i previously surfed the disk never let up and the damn thing was constantly sluggish. So I disabled the cache, cleared the files, restarted Firefox and presto, a really noticeable speed increase.
    Of course this is only relevant if you don't have limited bandwidth (i.e have to pay for extra traffic) and/or you have a high latency connection.
    Try it out and let me know if it works for you guys or not.

cheers

baseline, Aug 7, 2008
  3. 2manydjs

lotus49

This is interesting but also rather strange. I am certainly prepared to believe that disabling the cache worked but what I am confused about is how it can be quicker to download content on any sort of network connection rather than merely copying it from the disk.

Do you have any specific ideas what the cause of the speed up was?

lotus49, Aug 10, 2008
  4. 2manydjs

baseline

Hi lotus49,

Well, as with any computer system if your I/O is overloaded the entire OS suffers. The CPU wastes processing cicles while waiting for the instruction to complete (in this case the pool from cache). This is an oversimplistic explanation to be sure but it's basically what happens.
    Actually, forum user macles as an even better hack for firefox besides disabling the cache, take a look at his blog, it has some really usefull information: http://macles.wordpress.com/2008/07/29/reclaiming-disc-space-on-the-acer-aspire-one-a110l/

cheers

baseline, Aug 10, 2008
Ask a Question