Firefox hit an addressing problem? (Sorted!)

Discussion in 'Linux' started by freddie, Mar 29, 2009.

1. freddie

freddie

SORTED! - see below...

I've already posted this on the 'Software related / Software - Linux' board (link below), but got no comments, so I hope the moderators will excuse me tackling it here from a slightly different angle

I feel I may have fallen foul of an addressing problem...

I have a frame-based home page which works fine on a Windows PC
    On the Aspire I have Firefox 2.0.0.14 - which handles it correctly when I open it from
    • my USB stick[/*:m:3ekmi025]
    • an SD card[/*:m:3ekmi025]
    • from my website [/*:m:3ekmi025]
    BUT when I install the files in any of the Aspire directories, things go wrong and whenever I click on an item in the left hand frame, instead of displaying the associated page (say 'holidays.htm) in the main window I get:
    'File not found' - Firefox can't find the file at /mnt/home/Documents/links/holidays.htm...

Any ideas? I have tried all the main directories, and put it in sub directories

My original post is at viewtopic.php?f=5&t=12739

freddie, Mar 29, 2009
  2. freddie

daldred

Re: Firefox hit an addressing problem?

Ah, frames. I remember them: went badly out of favour about five or six years ago, as they are bad for accessibility, confuse printing, and break bookmarking. However, if it's just for your own use, I guess they are OK...

Could you:
    - give me an example of the HTML of a link in the left frame
    - put the relevant files into a folder, tell us where it is, and leave them there until we've had a look at the problem? (Just moving them around will do no good and causes confusion)

If your page is available on the web, rather than just local, provide the URL and I don't need the link HTML.

daldred, Mar 29, 2009
  3. freddie

freddie

Sorry dalred - I wasn't asking for your opinion on frames - I was asking why Aspire's Firefox appears to handle files differently depending on where they are located!

freddie, Mar 29, 2009
  4. freddie

daldred

Ah well, since you're so clear about what the issue is, I won't bother to try to help. No idea why you asked, though, if you didn't want to try to sort it out.

daldred, Mar 29, 2009
  5. freddie

freddie

SORTED! Being a Linux Virgin I had overlooked the fact that the Linux file system is case-sensitive, so it didn't like my upper case filenames in the local directories - although it didn't object when they were on my USB stick or SD card!

freddie, Mar 29, 2009
  6. freddie

daldred

Perhaps your SD card and USB stick aren't formatted using a Linux filesystem. If so, the files on them will be case-insensitive.

daldred, Mar 30, 2009
  7. freddie

freddie

Aha! Thanks for that.

freddie, Mar 30, 2009
Ask a Question