Firefox cache and tmp folder

Discussion in 'Modding and Customization' started by She, Sep 25, 2008.

1. She

She

I red somewhere that setting Firefox cache in RAM rather than SSDisk could save time of SSD read-write ops (and lifetime). Do I need to set a suitable filesystem or /tmp folder is already in RAM?

Uh-oh!
    Looks like tmp isn't RAM
    Code:
    user@localhost ~]$ more /etc/mtab
    /dev/sda1 / ext2  rw 0 0
    none /dev/pts devpts rw,gid=5,mode=620 0 0
    none /dev/shm tmpfs rw 0 0
    none /sys sysfs rw 0 0
    none /mnt/home aufs rw,si=d6b4f080,xino=/home/user/.aufs.xino,create=mfs,dirs=/h
    ome/user=rw 0 0

She, Sep 25, 2008
  2. She

retsaw

/tmp is in RAM, "cat /proc/mounts", it just isn't listed in the /etc/mtab.

Firefox uses a RAM cache and a disk cache by default, though you could set up a folder in /tmp to Firefox's disk cache I'm not sure there would be a point, but if you want to try it, create a Firefox cache folder in /tmp ("mkdir -p /tmp/FirefoxCache") remove the cache folder from your Firefox profile and replace it with a symlink to the folder in /tmp ("rm -rf ~/.mozilla/firefox/*.default/Cache && ln -s /tmp/FirefoxCache ~/.mozilla/firefox/*.default/Cache"), you will of course have to make sure that the folder in /tmp is create after a reboot, you could put the mkdir line in your ~/.bashrc to ensure that. Myself I just went into about:config and disabled the disk cache.

retsaw, Sep 30, 2008
Ask a Question